Best Hen Saddles that stay on

ScotlandMassage

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2015
My previous rooster (Chantecler) at my previous farm never caused any problems causing bald backs (though he was nasty to people), and my NH Red now causes bald backs on some of my hens which are Orpingtons and Orp crosses. I wonder what the difference is? Does grinding their nails help at all? He has slowed down his mounting somewhat as he has matured and is coming on 2 yrs old this summer, but there are still some hens that are his favourites or more submissive. I got hen saddles from Louise's Country Closet last summer, the kind with wider shoulder protection and the stretchy straps go under the wings and snap on. I only have 2 out of the original 5 left as they free range. My hen that really needs one has been taking hers off every day this week somehow. Of course I got camo coloured saddles so even harder to spot where they might have come off! I desperately need something more secure for my free ranging birds but something that will cover the shoulders of the wings as well, and will stay on but not be a hazard if they get hung up on something in our forest. We also had our first hawk attack 3 weeks ago that killed our head hen, and it came back 11 days later and got another hen. I'd like to order saddles with the eyes on them if that really is even a slight deterrent.
I won't stop free ranging them, about the only thing I can come up with is to place fake crows around, and once our fence around our 7 acres is done the dog can be outside way more often. I can keep them inside for a few weeks once my 3 young roosters go to the butcher. The roos also caused injury to one of my hens sides while we were away recently for 2 wks (we tried to get them butchered before we left but they were not doing it until spring). The entire area under her wing was opened up, and below that another 6" where the skin could be pulled away from the muscle. She is in the house healing very well (colloidal silver and manuka honey) but I need a good saddle for her before she goes back outside in a few weeks.

Andrea
Scotland, Ontario

Hi Andrea!
We have one rooster to eight hens and he likes to think it's his personal frat house. We started making chicken saddles. We don't have a problem with ours falling off or slipping etc. if you would like you can check our website out and let us know what you think.
store.hennyskirt.com

Back
Top Bottom