barred rock X white leghorn

Quote:
White Leghorns are Dominate White, so all the off a White Leghorn and Barred Rock would give you all white offspring with the possibility of having some "Ghost Barring".

Chris

Quote:
White Leghorns are Dominate White, so all the off a White Leghorn and Barred Rock would give you all white offspring with the possibility of having some "Ghost Barring".

Chris

Yep and here is what "Ghost Barring " looks like.

37373_w_bar_roo_2.jpg

37373_w_bar_roo.jpg

Quote:
It shouldn't matter, it would basically be the same either way but a WL roo on BR hens would technically be a sexlink cross, but the Dom white wouldnt allow them to be sexed as dayolds. At best you would have clean white hens and ghost barred roos but the "ghost barring " thing isnt always a given I dont think and the other sex characteristics would be showing before the ghost barring does.

Mating a female cross with "ghost barring" to a male with "ghost barring" can result in a certain percentage {about 25%) of grey or black/white barred offspring, but the barring will most likely be very irregular (cuckoo). A better barring tends to result from a nicely barred male x a black female and then selective breeding of the offspring.

Mating a female cross with "ghost barring" to a male with "ghost barring" can result in a certain percentage {about 25%) of grey or black/white barred offspring, but the barring will most likely be very irregular (cuckoo). A better barring tends to result from a nicely barred male x a black female and then selective breeding of the offspring.
If you want good barring you will need to breed the slow feathering gene back into them.

Chris

has anyone done this???

does anyone have pics of this cross??

this cross has been done to perfection.
it's called the california grey by professor Dryden in the early 1900's
with barred rock and white leghorns and then the finished product
is now used over white leghorns again to produce the black specked
white california white.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/CalGray/BRKCalGray.html

robert braun [email protected]

That is also my experience, but it is also a source of frustration as the slowly feathering chicks are the ones most susceptible to feather picking and cannibalism. Another problem with the nicest barring is the width of feather; nice barring means narrow feathers, according to what I have experienced. That is especially a challenge for Leghorns, which really NEED a broad feather to show the type.

I recently hatched 3 from a BR roo and WL hen. I am counting on the feather sexing technique, which would yeild me 2 pullets (longer primaries), 1 roo (all same length), they were hatched 12-29.

Back
Top Bottom