Bantam Rhode Island Red Thread

Thank you so much. I picked up a pair from a 4-H Leader that needed room for his Serama's. I want to make sure I don't over feed them and get to heavy. I have no idea how old they are just that he got them from a breeder at the Hutchenson show last fall here in MN. I will be getting better pics hopefully today.

Hi guys.
frow.gif
I have some Bantam RIR eggs in the incubator right now. Due to hatch the day before Easter. I didn't even know there were Bantam RIR's before I got these eggs.
hide.gif
. They sure a pretty though. I got the eggs from a guy close to me, who breeds them to show. I guess one of his roosters won 1st place in January at a show in Stockton, Ca. I've had some issues with my incubator lately, so I hope these eggs do okay.

My RIR Bantams arrived thru the rain and cold this morning at 7:00am.
I ordered 15 from Cackle Hatchery, and received 16. I warmed up their water to 98*F, and added some blackstrap molasses to give them a little boost from their 2 day trip. Each got its little beak dipped into the sweetened water right out of the box, and they went right to drinking. So far, so good.

What kind of issues are you having?
I'm still trying to figure it out. They seem to do great until the last couple days. I end up having a bunch that are mal positioned, most don't pip, and they are dying with the yolk partially or fully absorbed. It's so sad, because when I open them up they look so perfect, but they don't pip and hatch. Most aren't sticky or anything. I have a cheap incubator (a Hova Bator 1602N) so I'm wondering if it is having temp issues - I have 3 thermometers in there though.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure it out.  They seem to do great until the last couple days.  I end up having a bunch that are mal positioned, most don't pip, and they are dying with the yolk partially or fully absorbed.  It's so sad, because when I open them up they look so perfect, but they don't pip and hatch.  Most aren't sticky or anything.  I have a cheap incubator (a Hova Bator 1602N) so I'm wondering if it is having temp issues - I have 3 thermometers in there though.  :idunno  

Do you have a turner? What is your humidity at? Plus how are you cleaning it? All these can and do make a difference.

Well; I tried sexing my lil gang of RIR's, and looks like a positive 2 pullets, and possibly 6 out of the total 15 chicks I ordered. I read where hatcheries estimate the ratio between cockerels and pullets is 60% cockerels hatched to 40% pullets. Man, that makes for some expensive hens at the end of the day.

I'm wondering if they might be sexed by color phases when hatched. Reason for that is ~ all the pretty bright colored chicks are cockerels, and the pullets are dark, or dark with a dull reddish tinge. Just wondering.

Do you have a turner? What is your humidity at? Plus how are you cleaning it? All these can and do make a difference.
No turner - I'm thinking I need to get one though. I dry hatch, and keep humidity between 20% and 30% until lockdown, then up it to around 60%-65% ( I know that seems low to some people, but my air cells are right where they are supposed to be at that humidity). Last time I cleaned with dish soap and hot water, then rinsed in a bleach/water solution, the rinsed again (with plain water), and then let it dry. I'm wondering if turning could be part of the issue. I've been moving side to side in an egg carton, instead of laying them flat and turning completely over.

The turning could be the issue. Also do you have a fan in the bator? This could improve your hatches too. I use the LG's, I know many people who have problems w with them but I have great percentages with them. I have three, two I incubate with and one just for hatching. So far I have been averaging 96-100 percent. I would say get a fan and a Turner. The fan helps circulate the air for more even heat and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom