Bantam Rhode Island Red Thread

I just got my new bantam RIR to show in 4h.
smile.png
She's a real sweetheart and is already laying for me. What do you think of her?

My RIR bannies are 24 weeks old and STILL not laying. I don't know what their mature laying age is. RIR standards lay early so I'm confused at these. The easter egger of same age has been laying a month already and usually they are late maturing in the STD size. Anyone know the maturing age of RIR bannies from Cackle Hatchery? Here is a picture of the runt in the group, Iddy Biddy, and second pic is of the EEer that's laying, Pearl, and Piper.

Last edited:
I am picking up three breeding pairs tomorrow 6 birds total. Do they lay well and do they go broody? my daughter wants them pretty bad and i have to oblige, just wondering what y'all think.

I was told they don't usually go broody but I have a rir bannie that has been on the nest for a week! I can't keep her off it and it's messing the other birds up. 1 egg in a week. Not good! The breed they use to make a bannie version must have a broody gene. I don't have roosters. She lays nearly daily when she isn't brooding.

Last edited:
I haven't had but 2 eggs out of 8 laying chicks in a week because of 1 brooder. I don't know how to keep her off the nest.

Hi im thinking of getting some RIR bantams and was wondering if they are good layers? i really dont want another show bird.... i have way too many :)

Back
Top Bottom