Baby Quail Dying!! Help

thisgirllovesquails

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Yesterday in the incubator there were seven quail chicks that hatched. They were all dry and really wanted to get into the brooder. I placed the hatched chicks in the brooder. While I was doing that I saw an egg that was hatching. So I quickly closed the incubator. I checked on it again a couple hours later and nothing happened. This morning when I woke up I saw the same thing. So I decided that it was shrink wrapped and tried to help it. I knew I had to step in because the veins had receded, he had sucked in the yolk, and he was half dry. It was successful besides being stuck to himself with yolk. I left it for 30 minutes he didn't dry at all.. He has one good foot and a curled foot. To get him unstuck I mixed warm water and Dawn. I dipped a Q-Tip in the solution and washed the yolk off. He was fine until about another 30 minutes later he started to look like he was dying! His heart started to beat so fast. He is closing his eyes a lot too. They seem to be watering. He doesn't seem to be improving what should I do!!!!
Also today is day 20 in quail incubation. The humidity was really high, so that's why I assume he hatched so late.
Also there was another one that pipped and it seemed like it gave up so I took the shell of a little part of the egg. It's been an hour and I don't know if I should just wait or what?

Last edited:
Yesterday in the incubator there were seven quail chicks that hatched. They were all dry and really wanted to get into the brooder. I placed the hatched chicks in the brooder. While I was doing that I saw an egg that was hatching. So I quickly closed the incubator. I checked on it again a couple hours later and nothing happened. This morning when I woke up I saw the same thing. So I decided that it was shrink wrapped and tried to help it. I knew I had to step in because the veins had receded, he had sucked in the yolk, and he was half dry. It was successful besides being stuck to himself with yolk. I left it for 30 minutes he didn't dry at all.. He has one good foot and a curled foot. To get him unstuck I mixed warm water and Dawn. I dipped a Q-Tip in the solution and washed the yolk off. He was fine until about another 30 minutes later he started to look like he was dying! His heart started to beat so fast. He is closing his eyes a lot too. They seem to be watering. He doesn't seem to be improving what should I do!!!!
Also today is day 20 in quail incubation. The humidity was really high, so that's why I assume he hatched so late.
Also there was another one that pipped and it seemed like it gave up so I took the shell of a little part of the egg. It's been an hour and I don't know if I should just wait or what?
Poor thing. I got the same results when the humidity was too high in my gosling incubator. Unfortunately, there is nothing really to do about the little guy except to let nature take its course. Most of the goslings that came out that way survived for me, but I have no experience with quails soo...... Hope he survives:(

Poor thing. I got the same results when the humidity was too high in my gosling incubator. Unfortunately, there is nothing really to do about the little guy except to let nature take its course. Most of the goslings that came out that way survived for me, but I have no experience with quails soo...... Hope he survives:(
Thank you he's doing a little bit better. He's trying to walk, but his curled foot won't let him :hmm

Thank you he's doing a little bit better. He's trying to walk, but his curled foot won't let him :hmm
Usually with quail you just have to wait it out. Since it was shrink wrapped and stuck in the position it usually takes longer for their feet to adjust, and should be normal in a few days at best. I had a shrink wrapped baby just 3 days ago, but the easiest way to tell is if it’s hatching and gets shrink wrapped, it’ll poke at the shell and sometimes crack it but will make no damage to the membrane. My shrink wrapped baby was poking at it for a few hours and that’s when I stepped in before any damage could come. Sometimes it’s hard to tell but good thing you helped! Quail are a little different but they can go longer than 24 hours so if they are dry and you still see more babies hatching it’s usually best to let them get out first.

Usually with quail you just have to wait it out. Since it was shrink wrapped and stuck in the position it usually takes longer for their feet to adjust, and should be normal in a few days at best. I had a shrink wrapped baby just 3 days ago, but the easiest way to tell is if it’s hatching and gets shrink wrapped, it’ll poke at the shell and sometimes crack it but will make no damage to the membrane. My shrink wrapped baby was poking at it for a few hours and that’s when I stepped in before any damage could come. Sometimes it’s hard to tell but good thing you helped! Quail are a little different but they can go longer than 24 hours so if they are dry and you still see more babies hatching it’s usually best to let them get out first.
Ok it's tough waiting. One just died in the incubator I really don't know what happened this is crazy. Everybody was doing great, but today everybody seems to be having trouble. I had 48 eggs and so far 23 have hatched. There are more still hatching though. This is my first time incubating. I hope everyone survives!:th

Ok it's tough waiting. One just died in the incubator I really don't know what happened this is crazy. Everybody was doing great, but today everybody seems to be having trouble. I had 48 eggs and so far 23 have hatched. There are more still hatching though. This is my first time incubating. I hope everyone survives!:th
Good luck!!! Anxiety goes through the roof during hatching I know! Just make sure you don’t open the incubator anymore until you know none are in the middle of hatching. Make sure if you do have to take the new ones out because it’s been over a day you look for pips!!

Sometimes it’s the humidity levels being too high, most other times it’s just nature taking it’s course. Not all chicks will survive, I’m sorry😢
The one that I helped that I hatch out just died. I really don't know why he was eating and drinking and going into the heat lamp when he wanted. The only problem was that he was scooting everywhere :( :hit I grew attached to him in just a couple of hours!!!

Back
Top Bottom