Avairy- How many birds can I keep in it?

DancingWthDucks

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
So I have found an aviary for sale, and I have been intrested in getting a few ornamental waterfowl for a while now. I was thinking of Mandarins (since I've heard that they are good beginner ducks, Carolinas (Wood Ducks), or Fulvous/Blonde Tree Ducks.

It's a 6 foot x 8 foot shed, with a 6 foot x 6 foot run either side, and I'm wondering if it would be suitable to keep ornamental waterfowl in, and if so, how many?

Thanks,
Charlotte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 82
WOW, nice aviary! Would love to have one like it. I'm sorry I can't help you with your question. Only waterfowl I have are a couple swans that have their own yard and a nice house with run they stay in nights for safety. In your case if research doesn't provide a number maybe start with a few and see how it goes. You can always add more.

I wouldn't recommend more than a pair or 2. I have an aviary this size:
5.5 feet across
13 feet long
7 feet tall

It comfortable supports 1 pair of Hottentot Teals. If i had 2 pairs, it would really be pushing it, because it would get messy very fast and the pond would be too dirty within 4 days. I briefly had 8 ducks when they laid eggs a few years back and the pond was dirty as in you couldn't really see through after 2 or 3 days. Note that mine are very small ducks, but mandarins aren't that much bigger. If you can stagger the purchase, i'd recommend trying 1 pair and seeing how often you want to clean it. :)

Back
Top Bottom