Are my duck eggs safe to eat?

Daglebagel

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2019
Fort Wayne, IN
Is there anything that would make my duck eggs UNSAFE to eat? She has laid 3 so far, the first one was smaller than a ping pong ball, the next two much bigger. Basic feed diet with plenty of snacks like herbs, grapes, blueberries, grass. They forage in the 8x16 run (3 ducks total).

We have not gotten them any shots and I have never eaten duck eggs before, but I am a former chef and would love to take advantage of them!

My husband and son eat our duck eggs every day. There is no reason not to. They are especially good in baked goods. We use them one-to-one in place of chicken eggs. I fry them every morning and make quiche, omelets, frittatas, etc. We also hard boil them. The yolks don’t get the dry consistency of a hard-boiled chicken egg, but retain a creamier texture.

Because winter will come and our ducks will slow way down on laying, we also put our excess eggs into silicon soap molds and freeze them for the winter. I have a mold with six heart-shaped molds that are just the right size for a single duck egg. I cut into the yolk with a knife before freezing to reduce the changes in consistency that happen to the frozen yolks. Thawed, they are as useful as fresh eggs for anything that uses them as beaten or scrambled eggs.

Last edited:
@Daglebagel

Definitely eat them. I use mine mostly for baking & they are hands down the best! I'm actually not sure I'll ever be able to bake with just a plain old chicken egg ever again. :p
We give a lot of ours away because people want them, but they're very expensive to buy at our farmers market. They're a little too rich for my taste just fried in a pan, but I think I'm in the minority with that because 90% of the people we give them to love them & eat them that way. My neighbor says we should sell them, but the look on peoples faces when you give them some is priceless! :love

Last edited:
Because winter will come and our ducks will slow way down on laying, we also put our excess eggs into silicon soap molds and freeze them for the winter. I have a mold with six heart-shaped molds that are just the right size for a single duck egg. I cut into the yolk with a knife before freezing to reduce the changes in consistency that happen to the frozen yolks. Thawed, they are as useful as fresh eggs for anything that uses them as beaten or scrambled eggs.

Thanks for this info! I always wanted to freeze eggs, but wasn't sure if it would change the water content. Have you noticed a difference? Also, how do you thaw them? :pop

Thanks for this info! I always wanted to freeze eggs, but wasn't sure if it would change the water content. Have you noticed a difference? Also, how do you thaw them? :pop
This is the first year I am freezing eggs, but everyone I’ve seen discuss it has said that they have great success with it. That’s where the suggestion to puncture the yolks came from. I’ve even seen where people who separated their eggs before freezing and were able to whip the thawed egg whites into meringue. I intend to thaw mine overnight in the refrigerator, though I have heard of people doing it in the microwave. I probably wouldn’t have good success with that.

Back
Top Bottom