• Total voters

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I was considering getting geese or ducks to replace the chickens I am giving away. Are geese too loud for a backyard in the suburbs? We have put up with the neighbour's vicious and loud dogs for years so would a goose or two be unreasonable in comparison? Our chickens' run fits up to 7 hens quite comfortably with room to spare.

To be happy and healthy I would say that geese need plenty of space with good grass to graze, as their diet should be mostly grass. i wouldn´t think a chicken run would be very ideal really. They like to go to in search of pastures new and walkabouts! Geese can make quite a lot of noise, although I think dogs make far more. Why would you be giving away your chickens? Could be the same reasons not to keep geese? What about a pair of little Call Ducks? They´re so much smaller.

i have 31 chickens and 2 geese, i love my geese. they are brown chinese geese i have a mating pair. they do need lots of grass, but prefer freshly cut grass, they eat all kind of plants even my aloe plant, i have each of them a kiddie pool that i dump and change out daily. they make a mess out of the water,

My 7 Toulouse geese can most definitely be very noisy when they get excited! We live out in the country so the honking is just one more of the various animal noises heard day and night.

I would let the chicken grounds rest for several months prior to introducing new birds.

Another point to consider about space is the stately wingspan of geese. Never measured it, but seems like a good 5 to 6' wide. My geese put up a show when they all decide to fly/run.

From the one time experience I had ages ago with taking on "give away mature birds" I can honestly say, I would not attempt that one again. Talk about feathers flying!

There is nothing wrong with my current flock of chickens, but some relatives wanted chickens and besides, four birds do not produce enough eggs for the family. The vegetation is pretty thick in some parts of the run so if that was cut back there would automatically be even more room. The geese would be let out to the lawn everyday, as well as eating sprouted fodder.

I keep my dewlap Toulouse group in yards around my house. They are generally pretty quiet, except during breeding season.

Not sure about Australia, but we have pretty strict zoning laws in America that dictate what kind of animals can be kept on your property. You may want to make sure geese are allowed in case a neighbor does take offense to the noise.

I'm also wondering if I geese would fit on our homestead. We have 3 acres of mostly grass--fenced too. My problem is that the best I could give geese is a kiddie pool for water.

My neighbor has a dog that is a massive jerk (cocker spaniel), he barks at me while I'm minding my own business. He comes on my property. I want something that will put the fear of God into him--I remember geese on my uncle's farm patrolling like a pack of dobermans (dobermen?). I'm not sure my turkeys will be aggressive enough to keep this dog on his side of the road.

I'm also wondering if I geese would fit on our homestead. We have 3 acres of mostly grass--fenced too. My problem is that the best I could give geese is a kiddie pool for water.

My neighbor has a dog that is a massive jerk (cocker spaniel), he barks at me while I'm minding my own business. He comes on my property. I want something that will put the fear of God into him--I remember geese on my uncle's farm patrolling like a pack of dobermans (dobermen?). I'm not sure my turkeys will be aggressive enough to keep this dog on his side of the road.
A dog will kill geese, I would not get them to put the fear into this cocker spaniel unless there is a good fence between them. I only have kiddy pools and my flock doesn't seem to mind a bit.

Back
Top Bottom