Any one know what model Hova-Bator Incubator this is??

Silkie75

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
My sister picked this up at an Estate Sale. It's clean on the inside and the temp seems to be working and so is the egg turner. I'd like to try to use it but I'm seeing that people use different humidity levels for days 1-18 and days 19-21 depending on the model Hova-Bator. It doesn't have a model number on the incubator and I don't have the box. THANKS in advance!!

I wonder if the humidity level is dependent on the model of incubator. It seems that it should be consistent. Although there are different schools on incubating, I have even heard of people having success with "dry" incubating where they don't crank the humidity until lockdown.
Anyhow I don't recognize the incubator, are you site of the manufacturer? It almost looks like a Little Giant...

Yeah, I'm sure of the manufacturer. If you click the 2nd picture I posted it says Hova-Bator Incubator. I'm so confused about humidity though bc I followed the directions of other Hova Bators and only filled up the middle reservoir and turned it on. The humidity went up to 75% and stayed there!!
sad.png

that is a Hova for sure,,

don't get sucked into the "dry hatching" myth . that only works if the surrounding room humidity is high enough so that no water is needed..

You should go for 99*F temperature and 40% humidity..

model of incubator has no bearing on these settings..

You have to reduce the area of your water surface..
put water in only the small reservoir and then cover most of it up with aluminum wrap..

Or, add water each day or two,, but only a half ounce at a time.. more or less.. this is a real pain in the A to do..

before you begin, run the bator as dry as you can get it, (30% to 35%) then set your incubating temperature..
do not add any water until your temperature is stabilized...

Last edited:
Oops, I saw the picture but did not expand it!
Looking at the picture it also mentions that it had/has a fan, is this working?
The fan should reduce humidity since it is moving air in and out of the unit. If it's not working, it would be worth seeing if it is an easy repair (loose wire?)

Oops, I saw the picture but did not expand it!
Looking at the picture it also mentions that it had/has a fan, is this working?
The fan should reduce humidity since it is moving air in and out of the unit. If it's not working, it would be worth seeing if it is an easy repair (loose wire?)
the fan only circulates the air inside the incubator,, It is not designed to bring in nor to expel air..

the fan has very little if any affect upon the humidity except to circulate it with the warm air inside the incubator..

Thanks guys. Yep the fan is working just fine. I don't know why the humidity went up to 75% when I filled up only the middle reservoir (which is what I read you are supposed to do with Hova's for days 1-18). Now I've taken all of that water out and have resorted to a sponge and the humidity is now 44%. I hope this will work because I put the eggs in. I did NOT put the eggs in when the humidity was 75%. Fingers crossed!!

I have 2 of them they are very old models (no model number just hovabator) i have them more than 20 years
they have two water channels one longer and one shorter for the first 18 days
you fill the short channel and for the last 3 days you fill both never the center
by the way the motor draws a very small amount of fresh air for the last 3 days
when you remove the red plugs if you look under the red plug on the side the motor is
you will notice a small hole on the metal buck of the motor housing that is from
where it gets additional fresh air in incubator

Thanks Yiannisk. So I didn't mean I filled the actual "middle" (bc the water would go through the hole onto the floor). I fill the smaller channel you are talking about. But when I did this, the humidity went up to 75%. I have no idea why as I thought that was what I was supposed to do and that the humidity would hopefully be around 45%. Sooooo, I took all of that water out, and now I'm using a sponge. I finally have the humidity to about 44%.

I do see that metal thing under the red plug. Is that okay?

I really hope this one works! I had 3 horrible attempts last year at hatching with a Little Giant.
hit.gif

the metal has a small hole on it make sure it is clean and keep that red plug removed so that it draws fresh air in i think that then the humidity will be ok
if it is still high remove also the other red plug i always use them with both red plugs removed

Back
Top Bottom