Quote:
YAY!!!! lol
love.gif
your baby duckys

Quote:
YAY!!!! lol
love.gif
your baby duckys

I thought your mom said you were having to get rid of your ducks coz she was bored with them and wanted turkeys?

she was talking about the extra drakes!! lol

Quote:
she was talking about the extra drakes!! lol

Oops sorry...my bad
hmm.png

thats ok
wink.png
she just told me and i said i wanted to sell them anyway and shes like Ohhhhhh Ok! lol

Carol Deppe's book, The Resilient Gardener, has an excellent section on ducks in general and Ancona ducks in particular. She apparently went through seven different species before settling on Anconas--and she makes a convincing case for Anconas being her top choice for a backyard/small-farm duck. She certainly nudged them to the top of my next-spring's list.

Holderread, unfortunately, no longer raises them, and the folks to whom he sold his stock (Boondocker Farms) are asking twice as much per bird as Holderread got.

Cackle has Anconas, I've noticed, and so does Sand Hill Preservation. Anyone have experience with either of their lines?

the folks to whom he sold his stock (Boondocker Farms) are asking twice as much per bird as Holderread got.

I frankly think Holderread does not ask enough for his birds. He is well recognized as the leading expert in waterfowl and his farm is widely recognized as one of the world's top producers of outstanding quality stock. And yet his basic prices are the same as any old production hatchery.

Of course, I'm happy to pay the lower prices, but I would gladly pay twice as much now that I know from experience how superior his stock is.

I just hope Boondocker Farms does as good a job with the birds as Holderread. And I hope Holderread has a viable succession plan in place to continue his work after he retires. It will be a very sad day indeed when his work comes to an end.​

Quote:
I frankly think Holderread does not ask enough for his birds. He is well recognized as the leading expert in waterfowl and his farm is widely recognized as one of the world's top producers of outstanding quality stock. And yet his basic prices are the same as any old production hatchery.

Of course, I'm happy to pay the lower prices, but I would gladly pay twice as much now that I know from experience how superior his stock is.

I just hope Boondocker Farms does as good a job with the birds as Holderread. And I hope Holderread has a viable succession plan in place to continue his work after he retires. It will be a very sad day indeed when his work comes to an end.

I inquired with Boonducker Farms about hatching eggs they wanted $50.00 for a doz. I think this is out of line little bit.
What makes things worse it took several emails and several days to communicate back and forth about the deal.

These people have no clue how to run a business the right way.

Therefore I am sceptical about what they make out of this Ancona flock they inherited from Holderread.

Well, you may be right about Boonducker. I hope you're wrong, but it's possible they haven't a clue. It's also possible that they're still getting up on their feet and haven't figured out the business end of things yet. Also, they may be reluctant to part with eggs because they are still building up their own flock, but who knows why they're asking so much. Are they selling day-olds yet? What are their prices like on that?

I have heard that Holderread screens potential new breeders who are inheriting certain breeds very carefully. I knew someone here in NC that several years ago was supposed to carry on his work with a breed of goose. She says she had to go through a lengthy process to convince them that she was the right new owner.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the new owners are good. Just makes me hope.
smile.png

The story with the lady here in NC ended very sadly, though. The day that the geese were to arrive happened unfortunately and coincidentally to be the day that George W. came to Charlotte. The airport was double-tight on security and she couldn't get in to get her birds. No one would help her and they died on the tarmac despite ample written instructions on their crates as to how they should be treated and despite her frantic attempts to locate & take possession of them. So sad, and what a loss!

Anyway... here's hoping Boonducker steps up to the plate and continues the outstanding work on anconas. And if not... what a shame!

Back
Top Bottom