Ancona Ducks

Quote:
There is not much (anything really) that you can do to stop getting birds that occasionally look like Magpies. It is just the nature of the genotype. As far as Blue goes, it is incompletely dominant, so you will virtually always see it if the bird carries it. If your drake is Blue and some of your ducks are Black, you will get some Black offspring as well (which won't carry Blue). Black to Blue breeding will end up in visually 50% Black and 50% Blue offspring. Blue to Blue will result in 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Silver. If only your hens carry Brown (which is sex-linked recessive and combined with Black results in Chocolate), then you won't have any Chocolate offspring unless one of your drakes carries the sex-linked recessive Brown (d/d). Unlike with hens, it is possible for a drake to carry this (the brown) and not show it in its' outward appearance (phenotype). So from the Blue to Chocolate breeding, you should end up with again 50% Black and 50% Blue presuming the drake doesn't carry brown. A lot of Anconas do though seem to carry brown, so it is certainly possibly you might get some Chocolates even from Black or Blue drake to Chocolate hen (certainly by the second generation if you keep drake offspring from the Chocolate hens). You could also get Lavenders in the second generation if you breed from two birds that both carry Blue and the drake Brown. .

Last edited:
Quote:
awesome!! im a sucker for ancona ducks and there colors!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I will happily take a chance on your "cheap winter Ancona eggs" in January or February.

I am in Fl so if it is not deadly freezing in Missouri eggs will be fine.

Please put me on your list!

What sort of temperaments do the have and what are the distinguishing color feature differences between them and the magpie? BEAUTIFUL birds!

Distinguishing feature differences:

* They are a somewhat larger bird than magpies.
* Their color should appear as random patches on a white background. Any distribution of color is acceptable as long as it appears more or less random. A well marked magpie (and there are more poorly marked magpies than well marked, hence the confusion with anconas) will have color on the back, back of wings, and top of head, on a white background--too much or too little color, or color distributed in odd patterns, and the magpie no longer looks like a magpie.

Here is one of my nicely marked magpies (from Holderread--I can't take credit for the breeding--the picture is crummy, but you can see how beautiful she is):

37992_dsc_0165.jpg

Even this one has some black on her leg, which is one reason she is not show quality. Magpies are extremely difficult to get the markings right on. I'm thinking of switching to anconas. LOL!

Sorry, no clue on temperament. I have heard that they are fairly laid back, and so are magpies. But without any here for direct comparison, it's hard to say. I suspect it has as much to do with upbringing, specific line, and individuality as it does with breed, but it's hard to say.

There is not much (anything really) that you can do to stop getting birds that occasionally look like Magpies. It is just the nature of the genotype. As far as Blue goes, it is incompletely dominant, so you will virtually always see it if the bird carries it. If your drake is Blue and some of your ducks are Black, you will get some Black offspring as well (which won't carry Blue). Black to Blue breeding will end up in visually 50% Black and 50% Blue offspring. Blue to Blue will result in 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Silver. If only your hens carry Brown (which is sex-linked recessive and combined with Black results in Chocolate), then you won't have any Chocolate offspring unless one of your drakes carries the sex-linked recessive Brown (d/d). Unlike with hens, it is possible for a drake to carry this (the brown) and not show it in its' outward appearance (phenotype). So from the Blue to Chocolate breeding, you should end up with again 50% Black and 50% Blue presuming the drake doesn't carry brown. A lot of Anconas do though seem to carry brown, so it is certainly possibly you might get some Chocolates even from Black or Blue drake to Chocolate hen (certainly by the second generation if you keep drake offspring from the Chocolate hens). You could also get Lavenders in the second generation if you breed from two birds that both carry Blue and the drake Brown. .

Thanks for the information. But I think you are misunderstanding what I said about the pattern. You are right, when dealing with any "broken/pied" patterns, it's going to be tricky to get exactly the same thing every time. If you could, it'd no longer be a broken pattern. However, if you breed two ducks with large saddles on the back, odds are you're going to get a lot of offspring with the large splashes of color. If you breed two ducks with extremely minimalist markings, odds are you won't have offspring that are 50-80% black patterned.

Yeah, you'll get a few with a little color in the first example, and you'll still get a few with a lot of color in the latter example, but by selecting away from those traits you are more inclined to get what you want.

I'm familiar with the Blue/Black/Splash genetics, but love to see it explained. It's always a nice refresher and it's definitely something everyone needs to know. None of my drakes or ducks are from Black-to-Black crosses. The Blacks were kept back because I liked the markings/size/type, but most were culled out in favor of the Blues and Chocolates. If I can finagle it, I know someone with a Tri drake that I have been trying to purchase.

I have been using the following information from Holderread to select color:

"To produce the highest percentage of offspring with unique patterns, select birds with definite colored areas under their eyes and at least a bit of color in their chests. Avoid specimens that are either solid white or primarily colored with a white bib."

I try to keep anything with markings on the bib, and try to stay away from anything with a solid "stripe" or saddle running down the back. Eye and neck markings are preferred.

As far as hatching eggs goes, I'll be putting light on my geese in January. Once that happens the ducks will probably start laying in full swing and I'll be able to determine how many eggs I can ship out. When that happens I'll have a list on my site of exactly what color males and females are in the flock - hopefully along with pictures.​

here's my flock
smile.png

5137458764_bd07120e9b_b.jpg

Here are some new kids hatched today...

5199581099_d5c9e6d24c.jpg

Still got a couple in the incubator, but these look like a chocolate, blue and maybe silver.

I really like the Anconas, I love not knowing what color or pattern I can expect out of each egg
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom