Am I switching to layer feed to early?

Murduck

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2017
My Golden 300 Hybrid layers are going to be 16 weeks old on Monday the 20th and I'm about out of their start & grow and so, I think I only need a little more to get them through until I'm supposed to switch to layer feed and my TSC only sells 35+ lb bags of the feed, so I don't want to buy way more than I need... I thought I'd read to switch them over to layer feed at 18 weeks (but that might just be what I read on the bag) and I know in general, ducks start laying around 20 weeks old. I went ahead and just bought the layer feed but now I'm second guessing myself after reading about the problems the extra calcium could cause before egg production begins. I've been adding oats to the grower starter to cut the protein, will that work the same here to cut the calcium in a safe manner? Should I just get some more grower starter and mix it with the layer for a while? I've read both that you should switch them over a couple weeks before they start laying and then I've also read you shouldn't switch them until you see eggs. I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!! Any tips & experience would be so very appreciated. If it helps, I live in eastern Tennessee, so even though the temps are dropping, it doesn't get crazy cold here.

No matter when you choose to transition to layer feed, it should be gradual (like, slowly increasing the ratio of new food to old until you're at 100% new food over a week or two).
So, if you're almost out of starter I think you'll need to get a bit more.

I personally think now would be a great time to switch them over. I think I would rather make sure they had enough calcium, then worry about the chance they would have too much. Maybe find a happy medium and find a ration with only 2.5-3.25 % calcium instead of the heavier duty 4% calcium.

That's what I chose to do with my chickens, since they are at 20-24 weeks old and about half of them are getting red combs and looking like they might be getting ready to lay. I feed 50/50 starter/layer right now. My layer pellets are only 3.25% calcium.

You've got some serious egg laying ducks so I would assume a head start on calcium supplementation would be good for them.

No matter when you choose to transition to layer feed, it should be gradual (like, slowly increasing the ratio of new food to old until you're at 100% new food over a week or two).
So, if you're almost out of starter I think you'll need to get a bit more.

I personally think now would be a great time to switch them over. I think I would rather make sure they had enough calcium, then worry about the chance they would have too much. Maybe find a happy medium and find a ration with only 2.5-3.25 % calcium instead of the heavier duty 4% calcium.

That's what I chose to do with my chickens, since they are at 20-24 weeks old and about half of them are getting red combs and looking like they might be getting ready to lay. I feed 50/50 starter/layer right now. My layer pellets are only 3.25% calcium.

You've got some serious egg laying ducks so I would assume a head start on calcium supplementation would be good for them.
Thank you! I went ahead and exchanged what I got for the starter grower. But I think you're on to something and I plan on getting the layer feed again in just a few more weeks to start mixing and slowly switching them over. I don't know why I didn't think of that... it's never good to switch any animal's food over so quickly. I've never done it with my dogs and I can't imagine it would be any nicer to do to ducks!

I feel better now, lol. Nothing stresses me like the prospect of mistreating an animal, even nutritionally!

For what it's worth, I recall Storey's Guide recommending starting them on higher-calcium food a month before they begin to lay. Well, when I read that, I asked out loud, "just HOW do I know when it is a month BEFORE they start laying????"

For me, the answer was - they started playing hop on top. Sure enough, about a month later the first egg appeared.

Have yours started mating behavior yet? Generally, the smaller the breed, the sooner they lay. My Runners started between 16 and 20 weeks. And I agree, changing feed gradually is good. What I did was set out free choice oyster shell, and provide grower/maintenance feed.

Hello..
Can you get an all flock feed or Water Fowl feed?..Once they start laying you can provide oyster shell in a separate bowl...That would be better for the Ducks than a layer feed...
Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding even all flock or water fowl feeds in a reasonable portion. My TSC has SMALL bags only (why bother selling only small bags, I don't even get it), which would just be too costly :( I appreciate the suggestion though and will continue to search! I do need to check my co-op but their hours make it hard for me to get there when they are open. A Rural King is also opening nearby soon but according to their website, they aren't going to be very helpful either. Grrrr...

Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding even all flock or water fowl feeds in a reasonable portion. My TSC has SMALL bags only (why bother selling only small bags, I don't even get it), which would just be too costly :( I appreciate the suggestion though and will continue to search! I do need to check my co-op but their hours make it hard for me to get there when they are open. A Rural King is also opening nearby soon but according to their website, they aren't going to be very helpful either. Grrrr...
Where are you located?

For what it's worth, I recall Storey's Guide recommending starting them on higher-calcium food a month before they begin to lay. Well, when I read that, I asked out loud, "just HOW do I know when it is a month BEFORE they start laying????"

For me, the answer was - they started playing hop on top. Sure enough, about a month later the first egg appeared.

Have yours started mating behavior yet? Generally, the smaller the breed, the sooner they lay. My Runners started between 16 and 20 weeks. And I agree, changing feed gradually is good. What I did was set out free choice oyster shell, and provide grower/maintenance feed.
LOL!!! "hop on top"... I don't have any males so, I'm not sure what their mating behavior will be like. I have Storey's guide, I will make sure to reread and see exactly what it says!
My girls are probably about 4 pounds a piece (not that they let me hold them much at all, so that is a TOTAL guess) as far as size.

They are 7 weeks today, I'm getting excited!!!! I think I will go ahead and get those oyster shells here soon and also the next food, so I can start adding it into their diet. You all have been incredibly helpful, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom