Adding to the flock/ more pullets than existing hens

Fourway

Chirping
Sep 1, 2022
New England
I realize there are many threads on this topic but I haven’t seen anything that specifically matches my situation. I had a my first flock of four chickens, one was an aggressive rooster and one passed with no signs of illness 2 years ago, so we are down to 2 and they are five years old. In the spring I got six babies and have raised them so they are turning 18 weeks today! They had their own coop and have been doing well in there but I made it knowing that I would want to put the two flocks together. The location of the main coop does not make it possible for me to put another coop along the side. I do not free range as we have too many predators in our area. I was even thinking of just putting the two older girls in the smaller coop and moving the six pullets to the main coop but then if something happens to one of the older girls I would have a sad and lonely girl by herself! My two older girls were never aggressive, and the new pullets have their squabbles but nothing serious. Should I just try to put the young girls in at night and supervise them the next day? My run has room for nine chickens and the attached coop has room for nine as well so I know it is large enough. Any help you could give me would be appreciated!

I would make sure there are plenty of "out of sight" spots for pullets to hide. I use everything, flowerpot on side, logs, plywood leaning against wall, and put everyone together. I have 4 2 yr old hens, a rooster 3+ yr old and 12 babies 8 weeks old. The babies are fine.
Thank you for your helpful suggestion! That’s what I was thinking but I just want to be sure.

Should I just try to put the young girls in at night and supervise them the next day?
This is never a good idea.

I agree that you need to "clutter up" the run with plenty of things to perch on, hide behind and dig through but you still need to do a "look don't touch" period of integration with the pullets. The ideal time to do this is at 6 weeks old so You have your hands full with such large birds if your run is not predator proof. You will have to manually move them back and forth each night and morning.
The "look don't touch" pen can be sectioned off of the run so the pullets have room to move around and see the hens and the hens them.
After a week, leave the hens in the coop and let the pullets out to explore the run by themselves for about an hour before letting the hens out. Then sit and watch. As long as no one is getting outright attacked, let them sort things out.

Should I just try to put the young girls in at night and supervise them the next day? My run has room for nine chickens and the attached coop has room for nine as well so I know it is large enough.
Maybe put the two old ones in a dog crate inside the run, while the pullets have access to the whole coop and the rest of the run, and let them see each other for a week or so. Then let the hens out and watch what happens.

I would do that in whichever coop & run is larger, no matter which group is living in it at present.

(This is in addition to the ideas other people have posted, about clutter so they can get out of sight of each other, and multiple feed/water stations.)

This is never a good idea.

I agree that you need to "clutter up" the run with plenty of things to perch on, hide behind and dig through but you still need to do a "look don't touch" period of integration with the pullets. The ideal time to do this is at 6 weeks old so You have your hands full with such large birds if your run is not predator proof. You will have to manually move them back and forth each night and morning.
The "look don't touch" pen can be sectioned off of the run so the pullets have room to move around and see the hens and the hens them.
After a week, leave the hens in the coop and let the pullets out to explore the run by themselves for about an hour before letting the hens out. Then sit and watch. As long as no one is getting outright attacked, let them sort things out.
Thank you for your advice! My coop and run our predator proof. I have hardware cloth buried, and it has a roof. I’m disheartened to hear that I should’ve done this at six weeks because what I read was to make sure I didn’t put them together until they were the same size. Now my pullets are about the same size as my cream legbar but the barred rock is a little bit bigger.

Maybe put the two old ones in a dog crate inside the run, while the pullets have access to the whole coop and the rest of the run, and let them see each other for a week or so. Then let the hens out and watch what happens.

I would do that in whichever coop & run is larger, no matter which group is living in it at present.

(This is in addition to the ideas other people have posted, about clutter so they can get out of sight of each other, and multiple feed/water stations.)
Thank you for your advice!

Thank you for your advice! My coop and run our predator proof. I have hardware cloth buried, and it has a roof. I’m disheartened to hear that I should’ve done this at six weeks because what I read was to make sure I didn’t put them together until they were the same size. Now my pullets are about the same size as my cream legbar but the barred rock is a little bit bigger.
For future, here is one article on the way some people like to integrate chicks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

Different people do things different ways. The advice about letting them grow up has been around for years, and it certainly can work. You have a situation of integrating adults (or almost adults), rather than integrating chicks.

Neither way is "wrong," just different.

Back
Top Bottom