Abandoned eggs?

Cheyman_coldman

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Hi, I have a hen that’s been hatching out some eggs, there are 9 total and all from different hens. She hatched out 4 so far. One chick a day it seems. It’s been a week now since the last hatched and I have one in the process that I had to bring inside because the flies kept landing on it. But she seemed to have for the most part abandoned the eggs and won’t sit on them. I think they are still alive. I don’t have an incubator because we only decided to let these hatch because my rooster who I loved just died. Anyways, is there anything I should do to make sure these last eggs get hatched out? Her nest is in a plastic plant bucket (her choice) she does sleep in it at night but not at all during the day anymore.

It's amazing that she's sat so long after the first few hatched, most hens get up within 2-3 days. This is called a staggered hatch, it advised against since you'll have eggs at all ages. There's no way to force her to keep sitting, if you want to haven the remaining eggs a chance, you'll have to borrow or build an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom