A worm in my egg? Photos!!

It is dangerous to assume there are no worms because you don’t see them in the droppings. Roundworms can be seen without a microscope, but the eggs and other small worms such as capillary worms cannot be seen with the naked eye. If you have a vet who will perform a fecal float, you may be able to rule out worms and larvae. Albendazole, the active ingredient in Valbazen is so safe that it is given to humans for parasites.
I guess i shouldve said ive only had one hen die from worms. Got her from another farm. None of my current chickens show symptoms of worms...

But i worm them 2-3 times a year w natural wormer for chickens.

Their poop is fine. No infestations in butchered birds...

Misnomer to assume worming kills all worms. It only brings them to lower level and creates superbugs in the process.

Unless your birds have a heavy worm load and are exhibiting symptoms of illness, you do not have to worm your chickens. Healthy adult chickens rarely suffer from a worm overload. They do have worms – that’s a fact of life, but in a healthy bird, the parasite and the host live together in a sort of tolerant relationship.

Unless your birds have a heavy worm load and are exhibiting symptoms of illness, you do not have to worm your chickens. Healthy adult chickens rarely suffer from a worm overload. They do have worms – that’s a fact of life, but in a healthy bird, the parasite and the host live together in a sort of tolerant relationship.
So you wouldn't minding hosting a few yourself.

So you wouldn't minding hosting a few yourself.

I think many people have worms without noticing them. A super common one in humans is pinworms. Parasites go mostly unnoticed if they're not causing harm or make anyone uncomfortable.

Changed wording from most to many, cause definitely not everyone has them.

I think many people have worms without noticing them. A super common one in humans is pinworms. Parasites go mostly unnoticed if they're not causing harm or make anyone uncomfortable.

Fair enough.
Interesting the super common one in humans mentioned are pinworms - those are notorious for causing discomfort/distress in humans, but the good news are they are treatable! Medication can even be purchased OTC and online at places like Amazon. Of course a doctor can prescribe medication as well.

Poultry worms suck the life out of chickens. That's a fact. That's what parasites do.

If you suspect you have worms or a family member, I suggest you should take a sample to your doctor and get it checked out and get treatment.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/parasites-causing-infections-in-the-us-cdc-says/
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/how-a-worm-gave-the-south-a-bad-name/

Worming your chickens does not create “superbugs.” Most vets and others know to rotate different wormers from time to time. So called natural wormers are not backed up with science, only heresay. When people here ask for advice on worming, most of us like to pass on info on how to treat them with proven medications. I never understand why some just argue with proven advice. The OP can follow that advice or look elsewhere. When people have worms, they have symptoms. A good way of helping to minimize worms in chickens is to keep droppings cleaned up, and remove the intermediate hosts. There are a lot of good articles to read about worming. Worms in chickens damage the intestinal lining, some damage the crop or cause breathing issues. If you read necropsy reports posted here by those who get them on their dead chickens, vets do find evidence of capillary worms and other more common ones

Back
Top Bottom