A tip for Warm chicken feet and prevent bumble foot

grnidone

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Russell, Kansas
In addition to giving my flock a wide perch to warm their feet, I also wrap the perch in fleece.

My girls have warm feet and they don’t get splinters/ parasites from the perch.

I just wanted to pass that along.

As someone who quilts and has a lot of fabric, I think wrapping the perch in fleece is a cute idea. But it also might get pretty dirty and messy.
I wonder how a sprayed surface paint like rubberized flex seal, or truck bedding paint would work?

But it also might get pretty dirty and messy.
I wonder how a sprayed surface paint like rubberized flex seal, or truck bedding paint would work?

I’ve done this for a couple of years now and it stays surprisingly clean. Just be sure to wrap the perch tightly so the fabric doesn’t turn, and make sure there isn’t a lot of it hanging out to get pooped on.

Wide roosts are not good for big chickens. Our large 11 month old (not fully grown) Jersey Giant got a
Big breast blister due to wide roosts - confirmed by the breeder with decades of experience. The breast blister took much time and treatment to get better and heal. We immediately turned all roosts to the narrow side a year ago. No problems, no cold feet since they still cover their feet on a narrow roost. So, personally, my experience tells me to provide a narrow roost, which can be a branch or a board (narrow side up), or thick dowel.

I don’t have parasites. But, your point is well taken. I may need to unwrap in spring and spray the perch down FITB pesticide to continue to prevent.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Not sure what FITB is...but no reason to treat for pests if there aren't any...
... just know that's a place to look if you see them on your birds(which should be examined once a month or so for bugs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom