A coop without windows ?

toadh4

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
On our property we have begun to repair an 8 by 10 foot former chicken coop with 2 small chicken entrance doors but no windows. It has been used for outdoor storage needs.we plan to replace the damaged areas of the exterior walls with plywood and then vinyl side the building. My husband is considering use of it to begin chickens in future. Does a coop need windows? if not need then does it benefit to have them?

I am no expert but I believe a coop needs windows one for light a d other for circulation. I would have 1/2 wire mesh instead of an actual window. I don't know where you live but in Texas we need air circulation. It's Hot! I have expanded steel for my floor and a large window area actually with 1/2 in wire mesh. And air flows well. My chickens go in there even during the day because I think it's cooler air flows up from the bottom.

Some light would definitely be helpful and without pictures, I doubt the chicken doors would be sufficient. The coop is an area that chickens will spend some time in during the day, at least during inclement weather, when colder and when laying eggs. Walk into the coop, close the main door and open the two chicken doors to get an idea of what it would be like.

There are multiple solutions for light:
  • Windows- glass or swing open with hardware cloth (1/2" mesh) to keep out predators.
  • Skylights.
  • Electric lighting- wired or solar with timers.
At least as important is good ventilation. At night when they are all sleeping and even in winter, they need airflow to allow moisture to escape. Any vents/openings should be able to keep out predators. Again, hardware cloth is good for this.

Use hardware cloth instead of cheap chicken wire. The latter is good for keeping chickens in, but not keeping predators (raccoons, possums, etc) out as this thread sadly proves.

Check out the coops area to see plenty of examples that others have built. Since you are new to BYC and don't yet have chickens, I recommend plenty of reading and asking questions. Better to plan up front than jump in and make easily avoidable mistakes.

Last edited:
On our property we have begun to repair an 8 by 10 foot former chicken coop with 2 small chicken entrance doors but no windows. It has been used for outdoor storage needs.we plan to replace the damaged areas of the exterior walls with plywood and then vinyl side the building. My husband is considering use of it to begin chickens in future. Does a coop need windows? if not need then does it benefit to have them?
Windows you don't need but you do need good ventilation. Normally a window provides light. A boxed out opening with hardware cloth provides ventilation. If your shed is a frame make sure heat can get out from highest point. You don't want to over heat your birds. Think dog in hot car. I now it's sick but it's all over the news. Same thing with no ventilation for chickens. Vent. And fan to blow out heat.

Windows you don't need but you do need good ventilation. Normally a window provides light. A boxed out opening with hardware cloth provides ventilation. If your shed is a frame make sure heat can get out from highest point. You don't want to over heat your birds. Think dog in hot car. I now it's sick but it's all over the news. Same thing with no ventilation for chickens. Vent. And fan to blow out heat.[/QUOT

yes, it's a 2x4 construction and it does currently have a decent sized roof vent and also a side wall vent that's about 12 x 18 inches

We are in MI, so all four seasons to consider.
I'm in MI too! :)
We are just finishing our 8x10 coop, we put windows on all 4 walls! Two on front and back walls, open, and the other 2 are just for light, the chicken love to sit and look outside.
We also put in a screen door for extra ventilation during the hot Summer.

I'm far from being an expert, but all I read before starting to build, points to windows are a good thing no matter what the weather!.... but of course you don't want a drafty window in a Michigan coop.

I'm working on building mine out in the heat today: decided to add one more window on the north side above the clean out doors. Will have windows on all sides and ventilation at the top on 3 sides as 4 foot walls with a slanted shed style roof. The north one won't have plexiglass so I can seal it completely in the winter, the other 3 will.

Back
Top Bottom