$80 to put a chicken down?

$80 seems to be a standard rate for anything (dog, cat, chicken, rabbit, rat) under 50#. Over 50 goes up to like $120. (Also includes iv for introduction of "stuff" as direct injection may not "take" quickly enough or even work in some cases) Since a standard vet visit isn't too much less ($35-60), $80 seems "reasonable." Vets have to pay their people and their bills, too. Sorry for your loss, tho :hugs

I have always taken care of my own vet care with my chickens. I don't own firearms, or have a sharp ax/knife to kill her humanely at home. At the time this was the best option. I think I am going to talk to the manager and fight the charge. $80 for 3cc of anesthetic to put down my chicken seems a little insane.
I hope you reach a good resolution with your veterinarian. If it’s any comfort, you acted on the side of compassion, and so you absolutely made the right decision.

I recently had to put my chicken down. She was suffering had only a few hours left In her. She couldn't stand and was breathing shallow for a few hours. She just wouldn't die on her own. I just got my bill today. I though 80 dollars to put a half dead chicken down was a little steep. What do you think?
Sorry for you loss. :hugs

My vet charges $125 for a cat, that includes the "exam" and euthanasia. When I took in my beloved juvenile peacock Crookie Monster in to be euthanized, he said "I'm not going to charge you for the exam", so just the euthanasia was $60.

So for me, paying $60 to see my little guy go peacefully was money well spent because all of the humane "at home" options can be very disturbing.

So was $80 excessive? I don't think so. Call around and see what other offices would charge.

Last edited:
This seems reasonable to me. I believe my vet charges $65 for an office visit plus whatever tests/medications/etc. are needed. I can see the euthanasia being $15 on top of the visit fee.

As someone who has worked in a Vet office for over a decade. Your $40-100 euthanasia charge isn't for the 3 CC's of Beuthasol. You are paying (like it or not) for the Vets time, the exam and emotional exhaustion. When your pet is put to sleep, and you are sobbing (which is typically the case with most pets) - it takes a toll on everyone in the room. You, the animal, the Tech and the Vet. It's hard and it pretty much ruins EVERYONES day. While any charge over $50 seems high to me, it is a task that no one wants to be put through, so I get why a lot of Vets charge more - simply because they would rather have you take it somewhere else. I'm not defending - simply explaining.

Back
Top Bottom