5 weeks baby chicks question! Tired and not playing help!!!!

Familyofchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
Hi y'all I just wanted to ask a question about my babies. I have 9 beautiful grown 5 week old chicks and today I've noticed something off about majority oh them. They are sleeping so much. When I normally let them out in the morning to eat and play they are so energetic and running all over the place but today was opposite. They just stood next to my feet the entire time. They appear to have a bloated belly and I don't know if it's because they ate too much.

They just go back to their coop and sleep without playing or anything. I'm so worried that something is wrong. I assume it's food coma but I don't know if it's something I'm missing. I checked their poop this morning and everything seemed normal. They also do not have pasty butt as well. I'm so worried please let me know what you guys think and if you would like to see a photo I would gladly post that! Thank you!

Post pictures, yes, any additional info can help. What breed(s) are they?

Always check the basics first. Clean fresh water at all times? Appropriate fresh, clean chick feed in appropriate amounts? Chick grit (not oyster shell) before feeding any treats or foods other than chick starter? Not exposed to other birds or used/dirty bird equipment or areas before quarantine period is over? Hands washed before (and after) handling new birds or their equipment? Not fed any toxic, rancid or contaminated treats? Appropriate temperatures, ventilation, lighting?

Any other symptoms? At this age people often stop using the medicated feeds they've been raising their chicks on. This is a mistake! This is actually the time you need the coccidiostat in medicated feeds the most!

Post pictures, yes, any additional info can help. What breed(s) are they?

Always check the basics first. Clean fresh water at all times? Appropriate fresh, clean chick feed in appropriate amounts? Chick grit (not oyster shell) before feeding any treats or foods other than chick starter? Not exposed to other birds or used/dirty bird equipment or areas before quarantine period is over? Hands washed before (and after) handling new birds or their equipment? Not fed any toxic, rancid or contaminated treats? Appropriate temperatures, ventilation, lighting?

Any other symptoms? At this age people often stop using the medicated feeds they've been raising their chicks on. This is a mistake! This is actually the time you need the coccidiostat in medicated feeds the most!
Yes everything is a yes yes and the babies still eat medicated feed. I change their water and feed every day. They seem to be acting normal now and playing. I don't know what it was. Maybe too early in the morning? Their poop is normal dropping but it is also some liquids. Like just runny brown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 19
They are better now. I don't know what happened. I'm scared that they might be ill but they seem like my normal babies again. Their tummys have flatten down and do not look bloated anymore. They don't seem pale or even fluffed up like the symptoms that was listed but I'm still concerned. :(

What breed are those? They are very heavily feathered. Is it hot in your area? Could be a reason for lethargy.

No real reason to suspect it, but has anyone raised the topic of mites? Do your chickens have a good area to dust themselves? Do they smell strongly at all? I'm no expert, but mites can be an issue when chickens are in a coop for extended periods. A little diatomaceous earth sprinkled in the coop is always a good preventative.
Just using the scattergun approach.

Electrolytes in water would be cheap insurance for sure. It might indeed be temperature related. I'm glad they seem better. Sometimes chicks are just like that. Been busy all day giving mine more room since they suddenly started pecking at each other. Bird brains! :th

What breed are those? They are very heavily feathered. Is it hot in your area? Could be a reason for lethargy.

No real reason to suspect it, but has anyone raised the topic of mites? Do your chickens have a good area to dust themselves? Do they smell strongly at all? I'm no expert, but mites can be an issue when chickens are in a coop for extended periods. A little diatomaceous earth sprinkled in the coop is always a good preventative.
Just using the scattergun approach.
It is hot here. I live in Colorado and it's been hot and cold and all over again. But they are never in the coop all day only at night to sleep but other than that they are out playing all day. They also have access to a lot of dirt to dust in which they do so much it's so cute :love but today they seem to be normal. I deep cleaned everything within their coop yesterday and this morning.

Back
Top Bottom