3wk old Mille Fleur showing neurological symptoms

TheBeadMuse

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Hockley, Texas
Okay. A little background on my flock.
I started it last year with chicks from TSC and a couple of local feed stores. They're all doing great (the ones that survived dog/raccoon/snake attacks, that is) and are laying very well.
We have adopted and rescued a few chickens from people moving, etc. All have been healthy and well feathered. Some were lost to coon attacks, dogs, etc. Currently there are 12 hens and 4 roosters (Two bantams, one Dominique, one big red and black rooster).

We had a group of chicks come at the end of March that are from Murray McMurray that are doing fantastic.
But they didn't have Speckled Sussex chicks for any of the dates that I wanted to order.. in fact they were pretty much out before the beginning of this year.
So I searched other hatcheries, prices, etc. And found Meyer Hatchery.

I couldn't contain my excitement. I ordered 8 Speckled Sussex, 2 White top blue polish, 3 cochins, 3 Mille Fleur bantams, and 2 silver laced wyandottes.

They arrived June 11th, and one of the Sussex (SX) chicks was flopped on his side. I got them home and immediately called to let Meyer know that 6 of the 8 were showing some strange symptoms. I did my best to nurse them with recommended Boiled Egg crumbles, dampened food, electrolytes.... Everything I knew and then some
Despite that, all six passed away. I got a refund on them.
The symptoms were falling over to one side, flipping the wings out. Spasms. Unable to eat, but ate and drank well while I was hand and syringe feeding/watering. Cheeping loudly until I held them. Which made me feel bad. The last one to go was one I really wanted to make it, she had a spot on her head that I really liked. I held her to the end.
All of the other chicks have been growing well, eating well, walking well. They started picking at the white top polish feathers and gave her a bald spot, but that was the worst of it for the most part.

Well, that changed three days ago when one of my Mille Fleurs (they are bantams, so they were not vaccinated against Marek's) started walking funny. Day two, he was unable to walk, and having strange, body wracking spasms that pushed his head forward/neck straight and threw out his right wing. Day three, he's barely even trying to stand today. He is able to eat on his own still, which kind of baffles me.
So... I'm going to be doing some research.

The three Mille Fleurs and the polish with the bald spot are in doors with me, the others are out in an enclosure to get some grass, sunlight, and space. My indoor cages are tiny and they're growing fast.
My hens and pullets are out foraging and have already been exposed to the chicks just by walking near the outdoor enclosure. I'm not sure what to make of this new development.
I'll take a video today if I get the change. Frantically trying to finish cleaning the front room and organize my crafting area, I have chainmaille and beads EVERYWHERE and we're expecting company tomorrow. :)

Any ideas and thoughts are welcome. Gonna go check on the babies again, then get to work. Thanks in advance!

The Meyer chicks must have really been stressed in shipping to have caused the loss of so many. This sick mille fleur could just be now showing symptoms, but it is puzzling. Avian encephalomyelitis (AE) can cause some of these symptoms, and chicks may show fine tremors when placed on their back. Encephalomalacia which is sometimes called wry or crook neck, is a deficiency of vitamins B1 (thiamine) and vitamin E. I think it is much too early to suspect Mareks disease in this young of a chick. I would go ahead and start him on poultry vitamins (Avian Super Pack is a good brand) plus 25 mcg of selenium daily. Selenium can be found in foods such as sunflower seeds (grind them,) low salt canned tuna, and eggs. Here are some links to read, and I hope you don't lose this little guy:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...itis/overview_of_avian_encephalomyelitis.html
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/node/600
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

The Meyer chicks must have really been stressed in shipping to have caused the loss of so many. This sick mille fleur could just be now showing symptoms, but it is puzzling. Avian encephalomyelitis (AE) can cause some of these symptoms, and chicks may show fine tremors when placed on their back. Encephalomalacia which is sometimes called wry or crook neck, is a deficiency of vitamins B1 (thiamine) and vitamin E. I think it is much too early to suspect Mareks disease in this young of a chick. I would go ahead and start him on poultry vitamins (Avian Super Pack is a good brand) plus 25 mcg of selenium daily. Selenium can be found in foods such as sunflower seeds (grind them,) low salt canned tuna, and eggs. Here are some links to read, and I hope you don't lose this little guy:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...itis/overview_of_avian_encephalomyelitis.html
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/node/600
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
We had to put him down. He had spasms that caused him to tear holes in his crop last night. He was in too much pain and his tremors and spasms had gotten much worse. I hate taking the life of anything, but I couldn't watch this again, having watched it with 6 before.
I'm keeping a VERY close eye on the rest of the chicks... 7 out of 21 is NOT a good number of losses from mysterious illnesses.
Gonna get vitamins for the others, who seem perfectly healthy, but looks can be deceiving.

Thank you for the links, I'm definitely checking this out.
I left out the Silver Spangled Hamburg rooster chick and Two Buff Orpingtons in my Meyer order.

Seriously worried about the rest of the chicks, hope they do as well as they appear to be doing.

I have ordered chicks from Meyer a couple of times, and had great luck with multiple breeds. Of course I usually recommend getting chicks from hatcheries as close to home as possible to reduce shipping time. I would email or write them about your experience, just in case there is a problem with breeding stock. I hope the rest of your chicks do well, since you have had such a bad experience so far.

Back
Top Bottom