2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

Just a little update!

All babies doing great. Had both males moved to the shed in separate sections, however, both males attacked each other and wouldn't stop! Vladimir jumped over a 6 foot gate just to protect his babies. I've never seen any of my emus jump that high. Anyway made a new taller barrier between the two and they're doing good now.

Babies are now old enough to be sold and I've 17 people ready to buy them(selling them in pairs of course). I'm planning to keep two.

Any idea how to sex the babies? Some are a lot bigger than others but I assume that doesn't mean anything?

PSFix_20230413_192907.jpeg
PSFix_20230413_192951.jpeg
PSFix_20230413_193020.jpeg
PSFix_20230413_193326.jpeg
PSFix_20230413_193405.jpeg
PSFix_20230413_193501.jpeg

Just a little update!

All babies doing great. Had both males moved to the shed in separate sections, however, both males attacked each other and wouldn't stop! Vladimir jumped over a 6 foot gate just to protect his babies. I've never seen any of my emus jump that high. Anyway made a new taller barrier between the two and they're doing good now.

Babies are now old enough to be sold and I've 17 people ready to buy them(selling them in pairs of course). I'm planning to keep two.

Any idea how to sex the babies? Some are a lot bigger than others but I assume that doesn't mean anything?

View attachment 3468964View attachment 3468965View attachment 3468966View attachment 3468967View attachment 3468968View attachment 3468969

Only way to sex them is either by DNA, which at this age would have to be a blood sample, or to vent sex.

Dad doesn't mind you around them at all?

Only way to sex them is either by DNA, which at this age would have to be a blood sample, or to vent sex.

Dad doesn't mind you around them at all?
I struggle vent sexing goslings, couldn't imagine doing an emu chick haha. They're so squirmy!

No the males have never cared with me inspecting their eggs, holding their chick's at their nests and holding their babies at present. They still come over to me for head rubs.

They're my giant puppies!

The females rather not be touched on the hand.

I have a emu chick problem. A egg i thought that wasnt going to hatch hatch. It lost 10.4%. And it is bloated as one would expect. It belly is bloaed and it feet are bloated. What the best way to proceed with it. Will it be ok, does it just need time for it to go away? What can/should i do?

I have a emu chick problem. A egg i thought that wasnt going to hatch hatch. It lost 10.4%. And it is bloated as one would expect. It belly is bloaed and it feet are bloated. What the best way to proceed with it. Will it be ok, does it just need time for it to go away? What can/should i do?

I think you'll just have to wait it out. It's got excess water which is making it swell, and that should go down over time.

What are your experiences with put younger emus with older ones. I have one that is quickly outgrowing its current pen. It is next to the adults, the female could care less but the male does have somthing against it but hes start to chill. It probably can stay in its current pen but defentily not for much longer. What do you think

Back
Top Bottom