2020 Parma, OHIO - Can we get enough support to change the ordinance on having backyard chickens?

Who thinks changing the ordinance to allow backyard chickens in Parma Ohio is a good idea?

• Total voters

koreanjohn32

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
With the increasing and shifting scene regarding food security, it is becoming more and more obvious that we need to be able to have access to meat/protein sources. Backyard chickens in Parma, OH would be a great source. Is there enough interest in this? Please join the conversation and lets see if we can get enough support to change the ordinance.

You can try to get people from the Ohio thread on board.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there.12049/

I do agree ordinances should allow more areas to keep chickens but I understand that just as with people not caring properly for their pets such as cats and dogs, what makes us think their chickens will be well taken care of.

I hope you’re able to make some positive changes in your community 😊

I think that what you’re saying is that the issue of enforcement becomes an issue. But, I think that if you’re interested in chickens for eggs, it makes sense for you to take care of them bc what they produce goes into your body.

I think that what you’re saying is that the issue of enforcement becomes an issue. But, I think that if you’re interested in chickens for eggs, it makes sense for you to take care of them bc what they produce goes into your body.

I love my chickens and I agree that people need to be more self-sufficient and work for the food they eat that way they will be less wasteful.

I just also know there are people out there who don’t take care of their chickens as they should. Depending on how much land someone has I think there shouldn’t be an laws against having chickens. The regulations should only apply to people living real close to each other and only have a small backyard or something. Mostly to prevent bad chicken owners to let their coops stink up the neighborhood since chicken manure is not good for anyone except a compost bin.

But!! I don’t know how it all works because I don’t have many neighbors near me and my area allows me to have however many chickens I want.

Sharon,
I totally agree with you. The bill accounts for acreage as a measure for how many chickens you can have. It prevents roosters and also accounts for noise complaints and nuisance. It says that if your neighbors complain, you can't have them.

Sharon,
I totally agree with you. The bill accounts for acreage as a measure for how many chickens you can have. It prevents roosters and also accounts for noise complaints and nuisance. It says that if your neighbors complain, you can't have them.

That would be a good proposal. I love my roosters’ crows so I would hate to not have roosters, but yeah if neighbors aren’t happy then better to have happy neighbors and still be able to keep some chickens.

With the increasing and shifting scene regarding food security, it is becoming more and more obvious that we need to be able to have access to meat/protein sources. Backyard chickens in Parma, OH would be a great source. Is there enough interest in this? Please join the conversation and lets see if we can get enough support to change the ordinance.
Yes let’s change the ordinance to allow the ownership of chickens in Parma ohio!
You’ve mentioned that you sent out an email regarding the proposed legislation but that was made in 2017 with no progress in the near future.
So I’ve done some research on different cities like North royalton, city of Cleveland and brunswick, Strongsville and more all allow the ownership of chickens and all are close to parma.
If you’re interested we can contact city council with a proposal and regulations regarding the ownership of chickens, and see if they would agree to it. Or take it to the Mayor and have it be placed on the ballot like the pitbull one where residents wanted to legalize the ownership of pitbulls within the city.
That bill ended up failing by 20 ish votes but I’m hopeful that people will be less polar on chickens.
So if you’re interested let me know :)

You can try to get people from the Ohio thread on board.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there.12049/

I do agree ordinances should allow more areas to keep chickens but I understand that just as with people not caring properly for their pets such as cats and dogs, what makes us think their chickens will be well taken care of.

I hope you’re able to make some positive changes in your community 😊
[/QUOTE

What if they held workshops at Sterns farm about responsible chicken care and charged some kind of fee. At least part of the fee, if not all going to Sterns farm. This would help out Sterns farm and promote responsible chicken ownership. You could have so many different workshops. Maybe even have events at the farm where people could bring their extra eggs for sale to help the farm.

Now, here is the hard part. Yes, we are going to have bad chicken owners that don't take care of their chickens like they should. We are also going to have bad neighbors who no matter what the chicken owners do the neighbors will have some sort of complaint.
Just my thoughts.

What if they held workshops at Sterns farm about responsible chicken care and charged some kind of fee. At least part of the fee, if not all going to Sterns farm. This would help out Sterns farm and promote responsible chicken ownership. You could have so many different workshops. Maybe even have events at the farm where people could bring their extra eggs for sale to help the farm.

Now, here is the hard part. Yes, we are going to have bad chicken owners that don't take care of their chickens like they should. We are also going to have bad neighbors who no matter what the chicken owners do the neighbors will have some sort of complaint. Hopefully peoples chickens would just be taken away because someone complained.

I would like to see the ordinance change. I would like to have a couple chickens for eggs . Something I’ve never experienced I think it would be great especially in times like this when you don’t know what is going on with the food your buying at least u can have a little clarity with your eggs. Lol

Back
Top Bottom