2020 Fall Ducklings 🦆💖

Pics
They are decended from @Texag87 Pekin and fawn and white runner. Their mom is gray bibbed and dad is fawn and white. But I have gotten many colors from this including black last time. This is the last time I do this combo. They are egg machines. Mom has laid and egg every day for a year! But I think I need some new DNA. I'm going to have dad over Saxony and Saxony/WH in the spring and try to acquire a new drake to put over these hens. Their mom is my favorite which usually means she's doomed.

Update 2020-09-24: The ducklings have moved into their new temporary home where they will stay until they can join the main flock. First they were feeling uneasy when i just left them in that house, didn't pick them up and carried them back to the porch, but now they are enjoying much more space.

When I opened the hens coop this morning I was confused as where the treat ball was. I serviced their water and feed and removed my single egg. Later as I opened the drake coop there was the missing treat ball. When the ladies were mostly done with it they passed it through a tunnel dug in the dirt under the partition between the two coops. Something they had never done with Elvis there. I take that as a favorable endorsement for Chester. He will be let in with the flock in Dec when the youngest hens are 5 months.

I finally got to feed my ducks treats by hand today. Covid induced viral pneumonia is not fun. Today my doctor said it was safe so I felt better about giving mealworms. They had not forgotten how to eat out of my hand after a couple weeks:)
I need to make a video of what happens here when i grab the meal-worm bag. I'd call it a meal-worm stampede! It is so hillarious! Its really duck-crack, and i feel like the king-pin! :gig

Back
Top Bottom