20 week old pullet tail down, slow, lacking appetite

Minanora

The Cuckoo Lady
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2023
Atascadero, CA
1) Sapphire Olive Egger, from HH. She's right at 20 weeks old. She's much lighter and smaller than the rest of the flock. We have a flock of 6.

2) Symptoms: For the last few days her tail has been down, she eats but with less vigor than her sisters, drinks a little, but pants a lot. Her crop is always empty. She walks around, but isn't fast like the others. She's pretty much just feathers and bones. She's a sweet little girl, and I can't figure out what's up with her.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A few days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She eats layer pellets, 16% protein from my local mill, and free ranges with her sisters under stone fruit trees and in my garden. No mineral water for the last week, just normal water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I have her isolated so I can observe her stools. I had her in an Epsom bath today and passed a stool with white and green like a usual poo but in the water.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have her isolated in a brooder in the garage ( swamp cooler running in there to keep it comfortable) and gave her an epsom salt bath this morning.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I hope to treat her at home myself. I honestly worry that with how thin she is it may be too late.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. not yet

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. their usual bedding in the coop is pine shavings, deep litter method in the coop. Bare earth out in their run.

How long has she been on layer feed? Has she been healthy all along until now? Have you ever treated for coccidiosis or worms in the pullets? Is she low in the pecking order or being kept from food and water? Some young ones may occasionally have a reproductive disorder, but the tail down position could be that or just being sick. I would start her on some Poultry NutriDrench or other vitamins, and try feeding her some scrambled egg and wet chicken feed.

How long has she been on layer feed? Has she been healthy all along until now? Have you ever treated for coccidiosis or worms in the pullets? Is she low in the pecking order or being kept from food and water? Some young ones may occasionally have a reproductive disorder, but the tail down position could be that or just being sick. I would start her on some Poultry NutriDrench or other vitamins, and try feeding her some scrambled egg and wet chicken feed.
They've been on the layer pellets for about 4 weeks. I added it to their grower crumble to start, I mix in rooster booster poultry booster in their feed at the recommended rate. They've been on exclusively layer pellet for just over one week. She's been pretty healthy prior, but she's always been thinner than the rest but not this thin.

She's low on the pecking order and has always been the runt of the bunch. When she was on chick starter originally (the first bag was medicated) she actually had a mineral deficiency and was super shaky. I had to shoot poultry drench down her throat for a few days. She was fine after that; always been super gentle and sweet.

I just gave her some "Tilly's treats" and she ate that really well. Maybe she's just not happy with the pellets? She's laid one egg so I figured it was fine to refill with only the pellets. Maybe she doesn't like them and is letting herself starve outside of free ranging? I can't let them out all day anymore because of the hawks and a new eagle nest near by.

Her poo is normal! Huzzah! Always fun to stand around and wait for a chicken to poop.

I have not treated the flock for any illnesses.

I would be tempted to treat her for possible worms with Valbazen or SafeGuard, and coccidiosis with Corid. In the meantime, getting her to eat some egg and moistened feed away from the others might help.
Sadly she passed away this afternoon. 😔

How do I effectively dose the rest of the flock with corid? Solution directly in mouth or mix into their water for a week? Then do I wait a week and dose again?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom