2 year old hens not laying eggs????

Kmaria187

Songster
Aug 18, 2021
Marysville, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have two hens born Feb 2022 Brown Leghorns, that went though a hard molt this past fall/winter laid eggs most of the winter but dropped down to 1 or 2 a week for both of them, but never totally stopped. Then in March this year one of them totally stopped laying eggs. Then in April the other one stopped laying eggs and we have not had any eggs since. Approx 2 months now is this common. Yes I know it is them they are my only white egg layers and one lays bright white eggs and the other lays more of a off white color the rest of our chickens lay brown eggs. We have 7 other chickens and all of them are doing fine and we are getting 5-6 eggs a day from them. they are on Nutrena NatureWise 16% protein Layer Poultry Feed Pellets or crumbles. Very few treats and when we do it is the Meal worms. like every 3-4 days to make sure I dont give them too much. They do free range in our back yard every day in the after noon. Just not when it is not raining. This past week I made them all stay in the chicken run because of the rain and just to make sure these two girls did not have a nest somewhere else and yep no eggs. Could they be done laying? if not.. is there something we can do to get them started again? Or are they just on Vacation Mode?:eek: They are in good health and good weight.

Attachments

• Goldie 5.9.24.jpg
    Goldie 5.9.24.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 47
  • clair 5.9.24.jpg
    clair 5.9.24.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 1
They come be on a temporary break. I'm not real familiar with this breed as I haven't kept any. Many heritage breeds will start and stop throughout the season.

You could try switching to a higher protein ration. Something with 18-20% protein to see if it helps. Either an all flock ration or a non medicated chick starter will work if you can't find a higher protein layer ration. Just be sure to offer free choice oyster shells.

Yes that sounds like confined as opposed to free ranging,
but was it for a full week and 24/7?
yes i kept them in the run 24/7 for a week, it was raining all week so i kept them in the run, this past week. Right now it's sunny so they are out free ranging. Still more to the fact no eggs and they are not hiding them. that was my point.

I have two hens born Feb 2022 Brown Leghorns, that went though a hard molt this past fall/winter laid eggs most of the winter but dropped down to 1 or 2 a week for both of them, but never totally stopped. Then in March this year one of them totally stopped laying eggs. Then in April the other one stopped laying eggs and we have not had any eggs since. Approx 2 months now is this common. Yes I know it is them they are my only white egg layers and one lays bright white eggs and the other lays more of a off white color the rest of our chickens lay brown eggs. We have 7 other chickens and all of them are doing fine and we are getting 5-6 eggs a day from them. they are on Nutrena NatureWise 16% protein Layer Poultry Feed Pellets or crumbles. Very few treats and when we do it is the Meal worms. like every 3-4 days to make sure I dont give them too much. They do free range in our back yard every day in the after noon. Just not when it is not raining. This past week I made them all stay in the chicken run because of the rain and just to make sure these two girls did not have a nest somewhere else and yep no eggs. Could they be done laying? if not.. is there something we can do to get them started again? Or are they just on Vacation Mode?:eek: They are in good health and good weight.
I'm having a no egg laying issue too. I have two Jersey Giants, two Welsummers and one Buff Orpington. Three got broody, then got over it, thought it could be mites or lice but not the case, and now all quit laying. They are fine health wise so I can't figure it out. I have a rodent issue at night and I'm rescreening with hardware cloth wondering if its stress from the heat and rodents at night. I can't figure it out. Its been like August here lately with close to 100 degree feels like temps and humidity, so ??? Looking for insight but can't find the answer. My buff orpington was the only one laying and even she has stopped. They are healthy otherwise. One of the welsummers just molted which I thought was odd since its spring. They are all 15 months old. Please let me know if you find any answers. Good luck!

Attachments

• The girls 1yr old-0662.jpg
    The girls 1yr old-0662.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • The girls 1yr old-0670.jpg
    The girls 1yr old-0670.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • The girls 1yr old-0671.jpg
    The girls 1yr old-0671.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • The girls 1yr old-0674.jpg
    The girls 1yr old-0674.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm back and here is an article on reasons they'll stop laying...
https://www.chickensandmore.com/chicken-stopped-laying-eggs/#4_Dehydration

I think for mine it could be one of three reasons. Its horridly hot and humid here in SE FL right now, I have a rat issue at night, and I switched feeds....will be getting them a higher protein feed today and I'm working on making the coop area rat proof...(hardware cloth is the only thing that will keep them out). I had used 1" chicken wire and it was a waste of money. Rats and iguanas find a way through it. Has to be 19 guage hardware cloth. Hope we both find the answer soon and this helps you somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom