2 wild baby rabbits killed 1 still alive- (Graphic pics)

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
Sorry for the non chicken post but I need advice. My dog just
uncovered a wild rabbit nest and killed 2 of the 3 babies. The one baby left we think is not hurt in any way, maybe in shock. I have tried several times in the past to save younger wild rabbits and injured adults with no success. I added pics of one of the dead rabbits as I thought handling the unharmed one more than we already have would not be a good idea. Wanted those who can help to see the amount of fur and overall size.
I put the baby in a container with a layer of shavings and a nest made out of hay. It crawled right into the nest when I placed it in the box. It in in the laundry room with the red light and the 2 week old chick for warmth.
There was no sign of the mother rabbit. The nest she had them in is inside our dogs invisible fence. I don't know how the have survived this long. I can put the dog up tonight and put the baby back in the nest outside. Will the mother come back for it and if so will she move it. If she doesn't the dogs will go right back tom.
It does have 2teeth on the bottom & 2 on top. Is it old enough for us to raise and release. I think one of the dead babies stomaches was punctured because there was a white milky liqu at the scene.
i                                                                                                                                  UPDATE: I put it back in the nest. It didn't stay. Hope mom will find.

Last edited:
Put the live baby back in the orginal nest the Mother will come back to it.
She will probly not move it but will care for it if you can keep the dogs away.

Last edited:
My dogs did the same thing this Spring. I know how upsetting it is. I put the unhurt ones back and kept my dogs away not easy. And she returned every night and fed them.

Thanks for the info. I put the dogs on the screen porch for the night. I put the baby back in its nest but it crawled right back out. Can't blame it after what just happened there. It only went aprox 15 ft from the nest and got low to the ground. Maybe that means its staying there until the mother returns. Hope she moves it because I have to let the dogs out in the am before I go to work.

I think she must still be visiting the nest to nurse because one of babies must have regurgitated milk. There was a milky liquid on the leaves around the nest after the dog attack. It looked like very rich mothers milk. I understand now that the mother only nurses about 2x a day am & pm. Based on the amount of milk I think she must have just nursed them. her coming to the nest might have been what got the dogs attention in the first place. I know I did the right thing putting it back, I just hope the mother comes back soon. Being the only one left out of three I hope it can maintain its body temp. Its in the open as it would not stay in the nest.

Are the baby's eyes open? It looks like it is almost ready to be on its own. Baby rabbits are on their own by about 3 weeks. Rabbits are not the brightest and often build nests in terrible places.

If you can, keep the dogs away. You can try putting the baby back again and putting some dead grasses over the top to make him feel secure. He might stay better that way. You can also tell if mom returns if things are disturbed. You can also try calling a local wildlife rescue for additional help.

also if htey can "stand" on 2 feet and their ears prick straight up I am told by a rehabber they can be turned loose- it is hard to raise wild bunnies- they shock easy.I did it before but my house is too loud now.

Back
Top Bottom