19 Gauge hardware cloth strong enough?

Ah, go with the 1/2" hardware cloth. I've had some old timers (yep, even older than me) look at my coop wire and tell me that nothing around here, even dogs, will break through it.
The main thing is not to have long stretches of wire without backing and to fasten it with screws through fender washers.
Poultry wire would be a good backing behind the 1/2" cloth. If you want REALLY, REALLY tough, prison grade stuff, put hog wire in front of the hardware cloth on the bottom three
feet.
The electric fence is a fun thought. I'll go that route if the area Black and Tan coon dogs start to get too curious.

Quote:
How does it compare pricewise? What sizes does it come in?

Not sure of the price but I live in NM 87008, we have coyotes, Bobcat, raccoons, skunks, pack-rats, hawks, bears, occasional mountain lions and a friend built a coop using the mesh screen so far no break-ins.

Quote:

Not sure of the price but I live in NM 87008, we have coyotes, Bobcat, raccoons, skunks, pack-rats, hawks, bears, occasional mountain lions and a friend built a coop using the mesh screen so far no break-ins.

Looks like it works out cheaper if buying from lowes or home depot... Thanks!

Quote:

it typically comes in 8 ft by 27 inch sections. Its called lath. If shopping at HD for both it may be slightly cheaper. you can find HWC online for same price as HD lath. Have not searched lath online but dimension may increase shipping cost of it. The lath is sharp.....something to consider if children are around.

Quote:
16 Gage is thicker wire, but strength also comes from the welds that hold it together ... If it has poor welds, it will break, so look at them for cracks ( not wrinkles ) or poor attachment. Wiggle a little and it should be secure. Where it has been cut and banged around on the outside layer of a roll is a good place to inspect.

Back
Top Bottom