Which type of Hardware Cloth

Pics

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
We basically don't know what we're doing and our chicken coop is taking forever. I bought 23 gauge galvanized 1/4" hardware cloth thinking the higher number meant stronger and smaller holes would be better. It seems like that's wrong. So if the lower number means stronger, why not 16, rather than 19? Or is there something else to this? And I just read that 1/4" could get clogged more easily. Like with leaves? So it's harder to clean? Could someone explain to me what the difference is between PVC coated, steel coated, galvanized, etc? In the meantime I also bought 24" hardware cloth for the apron and already did 2 sides and the ventilation holes but it's 23 gauge. Is it likely that critters will get in? I'm a little worried now about the vent holes, but already paid a handyman to do that part so it's all been professionally cut, though I did the 2 aprons myself so far.

The Gauge of wire goes in even numbers for the most part. The lower the number the thicker it is.

The coating is just different types of it.

PVC is often used in applications where a more fancy wire is desired. Like country club tennis courts. Tends to be more expensive. Green is the most common color. Some people like it coated black so they can see through the mesh better. It will also make it last longer due to the coating protecting the metal from rusting.

Galvanised is the most common. Galvanisation is a process that also protects the metal but is not as pretty. Your common fencing is coated with this.

For the skirting I use 1x2 welded wire. It is much stronger and lasts longer than hardware cloth. also known as cage wire. Hardware cloth and welded wire are not meant for ground contact but the welded wire will last longer.

Like, would this be okay for the fencing? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Yard-El...t-Cage-Garden-Plant-Support-03-1002/312862087
I'm leaning towards not redoing the apron that I already did with 23 gauge because our ground tends to rather rocky where I live anyway. Digging anywhere is a pain. Hoping that's the same for foxes, though not so sure about minks and weasels. I know the mice are able to dig tunnels everywhere. Maybe if I just add more gravel on top that would do it?

Screenshot_20230519_203154_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Like, would this be okay for the fencing? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Yard-El...t-Cage-Garden-Plant-Support-03-1002/312862087
I'm leaning towards not redoing the apron that I already did with 23 gauge because our ground tends to rather rocky where I live anyway. Digging anywhere is a pain. Hoping that's the same for foxes, though not so sure about minks and weasels. I know the mice are able to dig tunnels everywhere. Maybe if I just add more gravel on top that would do it?
Yes that would work. Make usr to start it about 4 to 6 inches on the cope/run the to the ground. There is this one more thing I do for the skirting/apron. I cut off the last wire facing away from the run/coop. and bend the tip downward. This not only helps pin it in place but the poky ends jab ate would be predators.

Thank you. Yardguard is what I got, so that's good to know. Just the wrong gauge. I think 1" or bigger will be too large of an opening for where I live. I just heard of a mink killing a whole flock nearby. So you're going with 14 gauge which is super strong! Was it easy to work with?

Back
Top Bottom