15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
I set silkie eggs on March 7. Didn’t even occur to me that if I waited 2 days it would line up with Easter!

20 eggs set but I’m not sure what hatch rate will be. This is my first time incubating eggs from these young ladies.
12 eggs looking strong on day 14! Fingers crossed they all make it. Can’t wait to see what colours hatch!

7 were duds and I had one early quitter before day 8.

Incubator C did better than Incubator B for candling on Day 05, I’ll say that much.. Although I didn’t give myself the best chance with viability due to me holding the eggs longer than should be kept, it’s still not a half bad number considering one hens eggs weren’t viable at all due to her not being bred by anyone. Of course she’s my Sapphire Gem but oh well, maybe she will like a future rooster as I am getting a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana in the near future :fl

Onwards to the candling numbers!
Incubator B we had to remove 30 duds, seemed as if nothing had started developing. Two blue eggs were questionable on if they were still developing or turning into a red ring of death so we kept them in to check at a later date to confirm my suspicions. All the others we saw veins and our chick-to-be blobs, some with dots for eyes and some without even!

Incubator C had 11 duds, same as Incubator B, non developers. The rest we were fairly certain were viable and strongly developing!
Only one photo this time around, it was even worse quality than the blue eggs .. I swear the lighter shells and thinner membranes really mess up the brightness in the photo :th
IMG_4369.jpeg

Side note:
We ended up moving all of the eggs left over from Incubator B into Incubator C. One questionable egg was left in Incubator B as we decided to throw fresher eggs in and added some of our Guinea eggs into the mix since I’ll have extra incubators for swapping them over to continue if the time comes to put the chicken eggs into lockdown. I know these ones won’t make it in time for the HAL, they will be on Day 18 come April 9th, I had wanted to say the full update :oops:

Back
Top Bottom