15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

All 12 silkies hatched last night! ❤️

10 have been given to my broody hen, 2 have splay leg so we are correcting that before giving them to her as well 🤞🏼

This hatch had 8 paint and/or white, 1 black, 1 blue, 1 splash and 1 partridge.
IMG_2980.jpeg

IMG_2951.jpeg

I just saw this today, but luckily I put 13 eggs in my new incubator🤞yesterday and I have a broody hen sitting on a clutch of 8 since 3/3 (pics). I also put another 6 out last night for another broody that keeps trying to share the first hen's nest! I'm hoping to have a bunch of Easter babies!

My hatching eggs are all from my home flocks and are either bantam cochin, bantam cochin cross(to silkie or bantam partridge rock), or standard bym! I'm located in Oklahoma!

Hope everyone has good luck with successful hatches! ❤️

Attachments

• Snapchat-1782834073.jpg
    Snapchat-1782834073.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Snapchat-416213882.jpg
    Snapchat-416213882.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1782834073.jpg
    Snapchat-1782834073.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-416213882.jpg
    Snapchat-416213882.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 5
Sounds stressful! But sounds like it’s all working out now 💕

Any baby pics?
Here is the best one of them all together, I routinely get pecked/attacked by Momma when I switch out dirty newspaper. Moms: four chicks Belgian d'Anver, two are Isbar/Seabright, and two are 1/2 Dutch. Daddy of all these is bantam: gold laced Cochin/d'Uccle/Dutch. Really interested to see what feather patterns turn up. Edit: Nutmeg is their daddy's momma ( she is the d'Uccle Dutch), so she's raising her grand chicks. :)
---
The little one to the upper right is from CAL ranch, the only one of four that survived. I got four in order to try and save one (buy 3 get 1 free, and they had d'Uccles and Blue Old English). The one I was trying to save died, another died that I thought would be OK when I got it ( the Blue Old English), then I found my d'Uccle dead the next day. :hit Pipsqueak peeps a lot, so I am glad Nutmeg accepted it (I think it is a Crele Old English rooster).

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    722.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Locked down my official hatch today, since there are bantam eggs. Did the last candle and they are still going strong. I hope they make it so that my Sicilian Buttercup (from feed store) will have buddies about her age. I got two buttercups, but there was an unforseen tragedy, and lost one. :(

Crossing my fingers that she will be adopted by the Broody that just started being broody last week (this one is the momma/or aunt of the first broody, runs in the family). Always a bit iffy getting a chick older than three days to adopt a momma. I'll be watching all day to be sure!

The last chick finished hatching yesterday, so now I'm done with this batch. In total 36 chicks hatched. 4 out of 45 of the eggs were clears and then there were a few duds. All in all, I'd say it was a decent hatch. The incubator was at 102 degrees for the first three days (due to the 2 thermometers in the incubator both telling the wrong temperature:rolleyes:), and the power went out about when they were about halfway through, making the incubator temperature drop down to 70 degrees. And about a week in it got really hot during the day and really cold at night, which affected the incubator temperature.
I'm really glad that I at least got this amount of chicks.
For all that happened, it is actually a pretty good hatch. I'm pleased. :)
I'll share some pictures later!

Back
Top Bottom