14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought my babies were done yesterday. Then I saw 2 pips in one of the incubators. I candled remaining eggs in the other incubator and saw signs of life and heard peeps from inside 2 of the remaining eggs so I put them back. This morning the 2 external pips were chicks. And I candled remaining eggs in their incubator. One egg was peeping so I put it back as well. I’m pretty sure these are the last 3 alive. My incubator dropped in temp and humidity overnight more than I thought it would due to a cold snap here and then being in the basement (supposed to get snow overnight tonight). I was able to get it back up to temp and humidity by plugging one of the vent holes. Here’s hoping for a couple more fuzz butts.

The final ones were already hatched and dry when I got to my mom's yesterday around 9 am. It's been pretty hot the past few days, so I gues that sped them up two days early!
One is a grey(blue) and other other black. Seem to have more of the Seabright gold color on their heads than the first two, so I'm wondering if they'll be roos. Can hardly wait to see what colors they turn out.
IMG_8399 (3)small.jpg

I... I think all my eggs are dead... I got a new incubator, tested it and it was maintaining temperature perfectly (calibrated with a separate thermometer), but when I checked on the air sacs tonight (they were in lockdown) everything felt way too hot. I was using that thermometer in my other unit, since the new incubator seemed to hold well, but when I put it in it spiked to 104F.

Candled them, and there's no movement, no veins... I want to cry.
I am so sorry for you. Mine are in lockdown too and to go this far with malfunction is heartbreaking. 😥

Hatching question! Is there a difference between lights on or off when chicks are hatching? Do they need darkness to hatch better? I have had a styrofoam cover on. Now the excitement has started, I wanted to leave it off. Good or bad idea???
I have had them hatch during the day or with lights on in my bedroom just as well as in the middle of the night with my room pitch black. Don't think they care. So remove it and see as long as the humidity stays up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom