14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I... I think all my eggs are dead... I got a new incubator, tested it and it was maintaining temperature perfectly (calibrated with a separate thermometer), but when I checked on the air sacs tonight (they were in lockdown) everything felt way too hot. I was using that thermometer in my other unit, since the new incubator seemed to hold well, but when I put it in it spiked to 104F.

Candled them, and there's no movement, no veins... I want to cry.

“A watched egg never hatches” — Muddy75 :old
I should have watched better. And gotten another separate thermometer.

I'm done for this year. Eggs dead. Incubator a piece of sh*t. I expected better from Little Giant, but this is the second incubator of theirs that has done the same thing, in less than a year.

Total live chicks: 3. Out of 69 eggs. I'll send you a PM for your spreadsheet.

I should have watched better. And gotten another separate thermometer.

I'm done for this year. Eggs dead. Incubator a piece of sh*t. I expected better from Little Giant, but this is the second incubator of theirs that has done the same thing, in less than a year.

Total live chicks: 3. Out of 69 eggs. I'll send you a PM for your spreadsheet.
I’m sorry you’ve had such a bad experience. I just want to say that sometimes you will get lucky with a cheap incubator. I have been very lucky. I bought the cheap incubator off amazon. I think it was Sailnovo. I didn’t have high expectations but it was all I could afford at the time. I’ve hatched a batch last year and now this year too. Just used once a year. Last year was 19 out of 22 set and this year was 27 out of 30. I’ve relied on the on board temp and humidity settings. I did verify with a different thermometer each year. My point is that sometimes you get a good one and occasionally you get a bad one. I worked for a kitchen supplies store for 20 years and I saw that even in the best brands you would occasionally get a defective product. I’m really hoping to win that Brinsea mini incubator. Maybe it would make me stop hatching too many babies! But either way I know that I’m going to have to replace this incubator with a decent one soon. I hate playing Russian roulette with chicks. Also, I decided that this year I would wait until later to hatch chicks so that I can get them out i
of the house sooner. 🤞🏻

Hello, everyone! Hope your hatches are going well. We are in the process of finalizing the Guess How Many Eggs Will Be Set! contest. Once we finalize that, if we can get all of you that set eggs to let @muddy75 know how many hatched, we can do the "Guess How Many Eggs Will Hatch!" contest.

Please let @muddy75 know how many of your set eggs hatched ASAP.
All eggs I set were clear. I tossed them.

20230415_155321.jpg

So far I believe 9/24 have hatched, not due to hatch until tonight still so looking good. This chick literally waved at me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom