14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I’m working all weekend and starting full time school after that, I decided to do eggstopsies. I won’t say how many yet but was shocked to hear a chirp. Considering today would be day 27 for the serama eggs, this could mean one of the following:

1. I am hearing things
  2. I am hearing things but it is the chirp of the spirit of the chick that didn’t make it.
  3. There actually is an alive chick.
The thing is I candled when I took the last chick out 4 days ago and it still looks the same as it did now..possibly internally pipped but not moving. I tapped on it but didn’t hear another chirp. It is back in the incubator and I raised the humidity to 68%. I thought about putting a small hole in it but afraid it would dry out. I’ll keep listening for another peep til my son gets home in an hour.

I'm hoping my last banties hatch Saturday, or Sunday, and not Monday. Tomorrow I'm going to stay over at my mom's and keep checking in on Anger Bird. Mostly I'll just listen for peeping so my hands aren't murdered. I have a lot of chicken projects to do in between, cleaning and painting coops.

My mom said the mommas are staying outside on the ground at night, *face palm*, so I have to try and convince them to go into the nest area. Luckily it's been pretty warm here now.
"Anger Bird" (Nutmeg) on her eggs:

Attachments

• IMG_8327.JPG
    IMG_8327.JPG
    542.7 KB · Views: 1
Since I’m working all weekend and starting full time school after that, I decided to do eggstopsies. I won’t say how many yet but was shocked to hear a chirp. Considering today would be day 27 for the serama eggs, this could mean one of the following:

1. I am hearing things
  2. I am hearing things but it is the chirp of the spirit of the chick that didn’t make it.
The thing is I candled when I took the last chick out 4 days ago and it still looks the same as it did now..possibly internally pipped but not moving. I tapped on it but didn’t hear another chirp. It is back in the incubator and I raised the humidity to 68%. I thought about putting a small hole in it but afraid it would dry out. I’ll keep listening for another peep til my son gets home in an hour.
Oo! Maybe it's stuck?
I had one I was worried was shrink wrapped because the air cell was so big, so I drilled a little hole by hand into the top of the air cell, and took just enough shell away with tweezers so I could see in ok. It was OK, I was just being a worrywart.
I think if you put a little bit of sticky bandaid over top after of the hole it should keep the egg from drying out. I was going to do that, first I'd tried to stick a kleenex over the hole with a bit of oil, but that failed not too long after, and then when I thought of the bandaid, the chick was pipped, so I just put a paper towel over the egg so that the air wasn't blowing on the hole I'd made.

1. I am hearing things
Just in case you need them, you've seen/reviewed the assisted hatch articles here on BYC?
Is she a brown red old English game bantam?

She's a mix of mille fleur d'Uccle (hen) x blue dutch (roo) :)

Thanks for the tip! I might try that…by drilling a hole do you mean you used the tweezer to poke it?
I actually used what I think they call a diamond drill bit? It was from my dremel set that I use to drillholes to blow out eggs. I just did it gently by hand. I read you can use a little drill bit, too. Then after I got the hole I used the tweezers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom