14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s one of my Easter babies. I have a question for any of you blue breeders. This little guy is from any one of my 5 Easter egger hens. Hatched from a blue egg. Dad is a Barred rock. Do you think this baby could end up blue or maybe blue barred? This is the only blue chick out of 27. IMG_2975.jpeg

It certainly looks blue to me. If the only possible father is the Barred Rock and he's for sure a pure Barred Rock, then all of his offspring should inherit barring from him. It's likely, with Easter-eggers as the possible mothers, that you'll see silver or gold coloring leaking through in places, though, so not exactly pure blue barred in that case.

Here’s one of my Easter babies. I have a question for any of you blue breeders. This little guy is from any one of my 5 Easter egger hens. Hatched from a blue egg. Dad is a Barred rock. Do you think this baby could end up blue or maybe blue barred? This is the only blue chick out of 27. View attachment 3466040

That down does look blue to me.

You can see in my BBS chicks the difference between blue down, the splash down (very pale silvery grey), and black down (there are also a couple Dominant Whites here):
IMG_20230411_164420834.jpg
IMG_20230410_121034682.jpg
IMG_20230411_164300318.jpg
IMG_20230411_164445826.jpg
IMG_20230413_110958743.jpg

IMG_20230411_164420834.jpg

I thi
Here’s one of my Easter babies. I have a question for any of you blue breeders. This little guy is from any one of my 5 Easter egger hens. Hatched from a blue egg. Dad is a Barred rock. Do you think this baby could end up blue or maybe blue barred? This is the only blue chick out of 27. View attachment 3466040
I think this is the mother. The one in the middle. IMG_2122.jpeg

Well my broody hatch that was due tomorrow did not go well. I found two dead chicks in the nest so I grabbed the remaining eggs. I candled them and only two looked like they had a possibility of hatching so I threw them in the incubator. I am hoping they will hatch but who knows.

I thi

I think this is the mother. The one in the middle. View attachment 3466055
So, after going back through my pictures I see that the only chick in my original group that was somewhat blue was the rooster in the above pic. But what I’m thinking is that MAYBE the offspring of those two (who looks almost exactly like above hen except for cream colored bottom) might be the mother of this years blue chick. Her father was a blue chick so he carried some blue gene and her mother who is mostly blue carries one gene together might have doubled the blue genes and then their daughter bred with the barred rock created the blue chick. Just a guess. I’m not a chicken genes expert by any means. I’m pretty good with cat color genes but not chickens! They are crazy. 😋

So, after going back through my pictures I see that the only chick in my original group that was somewhat blue was the rooster in the above pic. But what I’m thinking is that MAYBE the offspring of those two (who looks almost exactly like above hen except for cream colored bottom) might be the mother of this years blue chick. Her father was a blue chick so he carried some blue gene and her mother who is mostly blue carries one gene together might have doubled the blue genes and then their daughter bred with the barred rock created the blue chick. Just a guess. I’m not a chicken genes expert by any means. I’m pretty good with cat color genes but not chickens! They are crazy. 😋
How blue works in chickens.

1200557494699316.Mz3xBaiprBwSyKgz704r_height640.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom