14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!! @muddy75 --- @casportpony let me know about this hatch a long. I set 22 eggs on march 11(the seller was able to get them shipped a week sooner, they would have been slated to hatch the day before Easter but i was too excited to delay a week!). 13 made it to lockdown, 11 hatched, and 9 survived. I have 5 blue laced barnevelder chicks and 4 swedish flower hen chicks bouncing around the brooder! They hatched April 1 into April 2. I will attach pictures later once i can get them from my daughter's phone!
:woot
Congratulations on your hatch! I’ll get you added to the sheet

I have 2 fluffy butts out. I had 2 external pips at lunch and by 4pm the first one was out. Second one hatched while we were preparing dinner. Both look like chipmunks (not surprising given they are Easter eggers). Hoping to wake up to a bunch more out, but so far no other pips that I can see
1CC4CDC7-16F4-447E-BAFD-E238643DF2B0.jpeg

Alright, first hatch is wrapped up and this is the breakdown of My results:

Ordered 36 coturnix quail eggs from Breezy Bird Farms (South of Winnipeg, MB Canada). They shipped on a Monday, I got them the next day (March 21). (Paid a premium, but they arrived quickly).

After a candeling for cracks (there were none) and a count (38) , I allowed them to set overnight, then I loaded up my incubator with what it cold hold (35) and began my incubation period. (March 22)

First chick hatched on Day 17 (April 8)

Day 18 (April 9) the majority of the rest of the hatch occurred.

I had a few staggered hatches sporadically through day 19, 20 and 21. (April 10-12)

I have had:
-1 chick die on its own,
-2 that required euthanized (much harder emotional process than I thought it would be)
- 2 that needed a bit of help hatching (Both are doing well and have attitude,
-1 rescued from the cast after it opened the incubator (chick is fine)
- 1 with splay-leg (Responding well to treatment and should be fine -moving around well)

The numbers:
Ordered: 36
Recieved: 38
Incubated: 35 (the other 3 were delicious)
Developed:31 (88.5%)
Hatched: 24 (68.5%)
Survived from hatch(to date): 21 (87.5%)

Overall, for a first time hatcher with no experience, with eggs shipped In a cold snap in a Manitoba spring, I think things went OK, and I got more birds than I was expecting.

Hello, everyone! Hope your hatches are going well. We are in the process of finalizing the Guess How Many Eggs Will Be Set! contest. Once we finalize that, if we can get all of you that set eggs to let @muddy75 know how many hatched, we can do the "Guess How Many Eggs Will Hatch!" contest.

Please let @muddy75 know how many of your set eggs hatched ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom