14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mama and chicks are out of the brooder, and in with the bantam flock (papa and two other hens)
Here's the proud papa
20230412_104554.jpg

20230412_093323.jpg

Well, hatch is done. I finally got a decent nights sleep last night. The one last eggs in the incubator was not looking very hopeful and I was tired beyond belief so I went on to bed. My son kept an eye on #13 in the bator. I had candled the last two eggs and one was dis but the 13 one had movement. I put it back in the incubator and went to bed. My son texted me at 1:30 am to tell me it finally hatched! So it is officially 28 out of 30 hatched. Amazing. Here’s the last one. I’ll post fluff pics later today. They’re still not really eating or drinking. I made some mash but they were not impressed. 🤷🏼‍♀️🐣View attachment 3464578
Sad update report. I lost one chick. #12. He pipped on the wrong end and when he hatched he lost a lot of blood. Must have nicked a vein. He also drug around his yolk sac and was bleeding from the navel. I knew he lost a lot of blood and was definitely weaker than normal. So back to 27 chicks. Which is plenty.
The rest are figuring out that the mash is good and testing the water dispenser.

Well, out of that first batch of Easter eggs, I got three... Out of 30. Discouraged, to say the least.

I still have 49 more to go, though, but not all of those are for the Easter hatch. Really hoping to recoup some of my losses there.

I'll try to get some pics later.
Three is better than hatching one lonely chick!
Hopefully the next hatch will be much better.

Sad update report. I lost one chick. #12. He pipped on the wrong end and when he hatched he lost a lot of blood. Must have nicked a vein. He also drug around his yolk sac and was bleeding from the navel. I knew he lost a lot of blood and was definitely weaker than normal. So back to 27 chicks. Which is plenty.
The rest are figuring out that the mash is good and testing the water dispenser.
It is sad to lose one that way!

Enjoy the 27 Chicks.

Hello!! @muddy75 --- @casportpony let me know about this hatch a long. I set 22 eggs on march 11(the seller was able to get them shipped a week sooner, they would have been slated to hatch the day before Easter but i was too excited to delay a week!). 13 made it to lockdown, 11 hatched, and 9 survived. I have 5 blue laced barnevelder chicks and 4 swedish flower hen chicks bouncing around the brooder! They hatched April 1 into April 2. I will attach pictures later once i can get them from my daughter's phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom