14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't know how many I have -- it's bursting full in there, but I can't relocate the older chicks from the brooder until tomorrow. The weather is clearing but it's going to be nearly down to freezing tonight so both the older chicks in the brooder and the babies in the incubator are better off where they are.

I had another shrinkwrap case -- one of my pullet eggs. It was zipped, but the membrane was dry and brown in spots. I softened it with damp fingers, gently unstuck it from the down, and put the egg back. In half an hour the little one had hatched.

I wonder if this is from the stacking? Both batches with shrinkwrap cases had been stacked up until lockdown.

I tried to rotate which eggs were stacked, but maybe the side that spent more time closer to the heat dried out? 🤷‍♀️

The second batch of eggs have all hatched but 1, but the egg is chirping. It was chirping yesterday around 5:00pm, and now it is 6:54pm the next day, no pip. Should i be worried now or not yet?
My third won't hatch until this Wed-Fri.
I'd give it a little more time. I'll bet you'll see it by morning. Good luck!

I thought I read in the count you don't count clears as part of it.

But with out clears I had a 100% hatch rate!!!!! with clears it was 75% (with a good portion of those being from the guy I hatch for out of my group of shipped and my own it was 88%. his was 58% if we count clears).

I thought I read in the count you don't count clears as part of it.

But with out clears I had a 100% hatch rate!!!!! with clears it was 75% (with a good portion of those being from the guy I hatch for out of my group of shipped and my own it was 88%. his was 58% if we count clears).
I’m still in awe you had 100%!

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

The second batch of eggs have all hatched but 1, but the egg is chirping. It was chirping yesterday around 5:00pm, and now it is 6:54pm the next day, no pip. Should i be worried now or not yet?
I would poke a teeny tiny little pinprick hole in the air sac, just to make sure the chick doesn't run out of oxygen.

I had 2 that seemed to be internally pipped forever! I poked the smallest little hole (about the size of a pencil tip maybe a hint bigger) in the middle of the air cell to be sure they had air. Then I had running around to do so let them do their thing. By the time I could check one had hatched and one had externally pipped. Next time I peeked the 2nd one was zipping and hatched right after I went to peek. Made me feel better with the safety hole just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom