14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
View attachment 3458114
I managed to get a little better picture this afternoon!
I also found a surprise litter of Easter Bunnies that had fallen through the holes in my current cage.....7/8 were cold but still alive. I got them moved to a nest in the bunny barn so 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Momma is able to keep them alive.
OMG so cute!!!!!!!!!! I just LOVE ducklings!!!!!!!!!

I've read that there can be egg movement days before hatch. :) I haven't seen my own do that at 16 days, but I have noticed they can be pretty active in there when candling at that time.
Are they standard chicken eggs? Bantams? What breed are they? Those details can make a big difference. Bantams will hatch earlier than standard eggs and silkies, whether bantam or not, in my experience, tend to hatch a day or two earlier.

Also, what is the temp you've been running? Higher heat can develop quicker but can also cause problems in the end.

BUUUUUT you could just have frisky babies that are dancing like no one is watching (since they can't see you, they may think they are ACTUALLY alone).... hahahah!!

Last edited:
the call GIF

If you haven’t sent me or responded to a conversation with number and type of eggs set to hatch between 4/1 and 4/16, please verify by tomorrow 4/7/23 11:59pm PST. I need to wrap up the spreadsheets so we can complete the contests! Thanks!

Are they standard chicken eggs? Bantams? What breed are they? Those details can make a big difference. Bantams will hatch easier than standard eggs and silkies, whether bantam or not, in my experience, tend to hatch a day or two earlier.

Also, what is the temp you've been running? Higher heat can develope quicker but can also cause problems in the end.

BUUUUUT you could just have frisky babies that are dancing like no one is watching (since they can't see you, they may think they are ACTUALLY alone).... hahahah!!
They are standard chicken eggs. Mostly Easter eggers and olive eggers x barred rock rooster. They just twitch and wobble very slightly but I can see them move.

They are standard chicken eggs. Mostly Easter eggers and olive eggers x barred rock rooster. They just twitch and wobble very slightly but I can see them move.
I keep staring at mine and not having too much luck seeing them move. Guess they know I am watching, so they can't dance like no one is watching. :)
The one that pipped in my batch so far is one of the bantams. I'm about to go stare at them some more.

There are two BYC articles that are my absolute go tos when I am looking for answers to the assist hatch question: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

And https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Please read completely through both articles before doing anything, but the first says:
WHEN should I help?
"A chick is troubled if it's pipped but hasn't started unzipping AFTER 18-24 hours, or if the bit of exposed membrane around the pipping hole is starting to turn tan and dry."

Do you have coconut oil? I use that to moisten the membrane, or even veggie oil.
I'm anxious about mine too, those air cells... but I don't want to mess with them too much by checking.
Thank you! I will check out those articles, but thankfully I didn't need them. The baby hatched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom