14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Our first 3 eggs have pipped. They were supposed to hatch on Saturday around 8am. To be at 21 days. Only 11/21 were fertile.

Attachments

• 20230406_163705.jpg
    20230406_163705.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230406_165429.jpg
    20230406_165429.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1
5 of 6 crevecoeurs are growing yay fingers crossed I really want these babies
I love crevvies! I got two years ago at TSC , but my pullet ended up having cancer ( in her eye, poor thing, had her put to sleeponly found out after a vet in CA kindly offered to do a necropsy). The rooster was cool, but he started being a jerk, so re-homed him. Always wanted more. Before the Marek's I'd wanted to raise them, to raise awareness of this cool rare breed.

So, I only got to candle three of them before realizing that the one was pipped and their cells looked about right for them. I took the sponge out, which didn't even feel wet anymore, but the humidity looks like it's staying around 66%. The first pippers hole was already looking brown and dried out. I hope I didn't do even more damage to it with opening to remove the sponge. I'm worried I may have to help it that one out of the shell. How do you know when you should intervene with helping a chick out if it's shrink wrapped?
There are two BYC articles that are my absolute go tos when I am looking for answers to the assist hatch question: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

And https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Please read completely through both articles before doing anything, but the first says:
WHEN should I help?
"A chick is troubled if it's pipped but hasn't started unzipping AFTER 18-24 hours, or if the bit of exposed membrane around the pipping hole is starting to turn tan and dry."

Do you have coconut oil? I use that to moisten the membrane, or even veggie oil.
I'm anxious about mine too, those air cells... but I don't want to mess with them too much by checking.

I got a pip!
"Headstart" and it didn't look like it got the air hole it needed, so I fished it out and chipped a wee bit away, and there was a little blood, eek! Full stop!
Usually they pip in a safe zone.
I candled again and I saw the air cell didn't go to that spot, but close to it. Oi! I got my little diamond drill and hand drilled a safety hole in the top.
It chirped a lot when I first fished it out, so sweet. :)
Then had to get the humidity back up and all that. I have a humidifier in the room, so I hope that helps keep things steadier if/when I open incubator again. I'm still worried abut the others air cells.

Two pipped overnight! Gonna check on the big kids and the ladies, and then sit and stare all day! I'm so excited to see what they look like.
One of mine pipped today while I was at work. :) Now more waiting, super patience, and nail biting anxiety.
OMG, I can hardly wait to see too! I am hoping for blue, usually the pullet takes the daddy's coloration, and a cockeral will take the hen's (I have mixes). I have an Isbar roo, so blue should = pullet. Maybe? I hope! I'll be the first to admit sometimes the feather color genetics baffle me. :D

PXL_20230406_233843198.jpg

I managed to get a little better picture this afternoon!
I also found a surprise litter of Easter Bunnies that had fallen through the holes in my current cage.....7/8 were cold but still alive. I got them moved to a nest in the bunny barn so 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Momma is able to keep them alive.

I feel your pain :hugs

I invite you to read my article about my personal experiences with Marek's Disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

I didn't have any luck at all with second generation chicks. They dropped like flies with the exception of one little pullet who did survive to POL. Don't know why unless it was because I couldn't raise a cockerel past 26 months of age to prove true resistance or if it was some other factor but I must have hatched almost 30 chicks with one survival.

Not good betting odds at all. It was a painful decision but I did decide that in spite of the advice I'd been given to the contrary, to cull my original flock of birds.

Things do get better. But in the meantime it's a cold hearted witch and I don't mean witch to deal with. All you can do is put your head down and hit ramming speed until you can barrel your way through it.

Hatch check in. Down to 11 eggs. All developing nicely.

There was one egg that was very porous. I couldn't visualize anything in it. No air cell no veining, no embryo. This morning I checked it again with my strongest flashlight and had my husband check it also comparing it with the other eggs. He agreed with me. No sign of veining or development so it got pitched.

Today is day 6. Time passing wayyyyyy too fast.
Oh! I recognize the article, it's you! Hi! I've read your article a few times. :hugs
I sometimes have a hard time connecting names to articles, how cool you are doing the egg hatch along, too. :)
Glad you have 11 still going, I had a lot of clear ones. Trying to get chickies from the older established hens that seem to have the better resistance. :)

View attachment 3458114
I managed to get a little better picture this afternoon!
I also found a surprise litter of Easter Bunnies that had fallen through the holes in my current cage.....7/8 were cold but still alive. I got them moved to a nest in the bunny barn so 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Momma is able to keep them alive.
So cute! Were you able to get the photo at a safe distance? :D

Oh my goodness, I am glad you found the little bunnies. I always say for chicks or baby anything: they aren't dead until they are warm and dead.

So cute! Were you able to get the photo at a safe distance? :D

Oh my goodness, I am glad you found the little bunnies. I always say for chicks or baby anything: they aren't dead until they are warm and dead.
Yes....she will sometimes tolerate me peeking as long as I don't linger too long 😂 but Mr muddy was out helping me collect and move the bunnies and he was able to actually hold one of the ducklings 🥰🥰🥰

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom