14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
We got chicks!
IMG_6771.jpeg

*HUGS* I hate Marek's Disease. I also swore I would never ever hatch eggs again, because I've also been losing birds to F'ing Mareks. Usually my favorite-estest ones. But I've had sneaky broodies the past two years, so I loosened it to, "when there are less birds" and I've been good for TWO years.
I lost my absolute favorite (the friendliest bird I've ever had) from the last sneaky hatch to Marek's not too long ago. I have her sibling in the shell right now, whom I hope will be more robust.
I hope I get some lines that are more resistant to the strain in my flock.
I feel your pain :hugs

I invite you to read my article about my personal experiences with Marek's Disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

I didn't have any luck at all with second generation chicks. They dropped like flies with the exception of one little pullet who did survive to POL. Don't know why unless it was because I couldn't raise a cockerel past 26 months of age to prove true resistance or if it was some other factor but I must have hatched almost 30 chicks with one survival.

Not good betting odds at all. It was a painful decision but I did decide that in spite of the advice I'd been given to the contrary, to cull my original flock of birds.

Things do get better. But in the meantime it's a cold hearted witch and I don't mean witch to deal with. All you can do is put your head down and hit ramming speed until you can barrel your way through it.

Hatch check in. Down to 11 eggs. All developing nicely.

There was one egg that was very porous. I couldn't visualize anything in it. No air cell no veining, no embryo. This morning I checked it again with my strongest flashlight and had my husband check it also comparing it with the other eggs. He agreed with me. No sign of veining or development so it got pitched.

Today is day 6. Time passing wayyyyyy too fast.

cross-post from April HAL

Well, I'm depressed now. 24 hours without power. Ran out of propane during the night.

I wrapped the incubator in multiple blankets, plus sweaters and my winter coat, and closed the door to the bathroom where it was (thankfully the smallest room in the trailer). But, that's still 24 hours without it running.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and won't disturb the eggs until they've warmed up and I can candle them, but I've braced myself for the worst. :(

cross-post from April HAL

Well, I'm depressed now. 24 hours without power. Ran out of propane during the night.

I wrapped the incubator in multiple blankets, plus sweaters and my winter coat, and closed the door to the bathroom where it was (thankfully the smallest room in the trailer). But, that's still 24 hours without it running.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and won't disturb the eggs until they've warmed up and I can candle them, but I've braced myself for the worst. :(
I am hoping for the best!

What's the best, recommended humidity level for ducklings to hatch? My first time with hatching them, & want to make sure I don't mess up.

Also I have chicken eggs due to hatch 2 days after the ducklings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom