14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Well, my batch has had some issues...
Running 3 different sets in 2 incubators got me totally confused, and I accidentally set my Easter eggs in the hatcher on lockdown with some others that were supposed to be. It took me a day to realize! :th
On top of that, a bunch were Popcorns pen eggs, and he was not getting the job done... so earlier on I had to pull most of the eggs. It's going to be my smallest hatch!
At least I've got a couple of Popcorns kids in the brooder from that batch on the 1st. And all of Raven x Satins eggs develop and the chicks are so dark and lovely!
On the 18th there's another dozen due and looking good! I just didn't make the cutoff of the 16th to include them in the HAL.

Tomorrow, I have some eggs arriving in the mail :oops: first time in a long time I've gotten shipped eggs.

What if they made an incubator that like, expanded, when you need more room?

Oh man, how exciting to have a pipped peeper! I kept clucking at the eggs but nothing so far, official hatch date is tomorrow 7:30 PM AZ time, but there are a few bantams. :)

How did the air cells look? About right for the day your eggs are at? I'd take the sponge out, and see where the humidity goes. For "dry" hatch it was 60-65% humidity, mine is running a little high at 66%.
I used to worry more about keeping the humidity up, but then I consider how many times the broodies have hatched out chicks and they were fine.
So, I only got to candle three of them before realizing that the one was pipped and their cells looked about right for them. I took the sponge out, which didn't even feel wet anymore, but the humidity looks like it's staying around 66%. The first pippers hole was already looking brown and dried out. I hope I didn't do even more damage to it with opening to remove the sponge. I'm worried I may have to help it that one out of the shell. How do you know when you should intervene with helping a chick out if it's shrink wrapped?

Well, my batch has had some issues...
Running 3 different sets in 2 incubators got me totally confused, and I accidentally set my Easter eggs in the hatcher on lockdown with some others that were supposed to be. It took me a day to realize! :th
On top of that, a bunch were Popcorns pen eggs, and he was not getting the job done... so earlier on I had to pull most of the eggs. It's going to be my smallest hatch!
At least I've got a couple of Popcorns kids in the brooder from that batch on the 1st. And all of Raven x Satins eggs develop and the chicks are so dark and lovely!
On the 18th there's another dozen due and looking good! I just didn't make the cutoff of the 16th to include them in the HAL.

Tomorrow, I have some eggs arriving in the mail :oops: first time in a long time I've gotten shipped eggs.

What if they made an incubator that like, expanded, when you need more room?
An expanding incubator is a scary thought. However, it does sound like a chicken math thing.

So, I only got to candle three of them before realizing that the one was pipped and their cells looked about right for them. I took the sponge out, which didn't even feel wet anymore, but the humidity looks like it's staying around 66%. The first pippers hole was already looking brown and dried out. I hope I didn't do even more damage to it with opening to remove the sponge. I'm worried I may have to help it that one out of the shell. How do you know when you should intervene with helping a chick out if it's shrink wrapped?
I'm sure it will be fine. I'm glad you got your humidity down some.
I don't help as long as they are actively trying to get out. They may be quiet and still for a couple of hours, then starting up again. After 24 hours, if their chirps are quieter and distressed sounding, I'll peel away a little shell and maybe open the membrane a little more. Let the chick rest. Repeat.

I have never seen mine wiggle. :( Boo! Guessing I just always miss it or they just hate me and know I am looking and are sure not to wiggle around at that time. LOL
The first few times I've seen them wiggle, I yelled at the kids to quit running in the house! Most of the time it's so short and small movements I think my eyes are playing tricks, so you may just be missing it.

I'm sure it will be fine. I'm glad you got your humidity down some.
I don't help as long as they are actively trying to get out. They may be quiet and still for a couple of hours, then starting up again. After 24 hours, if their chirps are quieter and distressed sounding, I'll peel away a little shell and maybe open the membrane a little more. Let the chick rest. Repeat.
Thank you for the reassurance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom