14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
When I got home from church I saw that the pullets had laid so I slipped two more of those little eggs into the stack. 6 hours behind the others shouldn't be a big deal since my hatches often spread over 2-3 days anyway.

Hehe! Yeah, if there's room, I usually add eggs for 24 hours, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

We can set eggs up to a week late for the hatch along?!! I'm totally going to have more in then :jumpy:yesss:
More more more

I set 12 chicken eggs yesterday at 1:30. I separated out the moms I wanted to hatch from. Excited about possible colors.

Here are parents

EA223E30-4750-46F4-BDFA-0EF0FD71CD9C.jpeg

Here’s the dad. Half BLRW and half Lavender Orpington.

596E1319-EAC5-497D-BC9E-7888ACE79F52.jpeg

One of the moms i collected eggs from. She’s same mix as dad. Full sister. Really excited about possible colors from them.

AA314072-6753-4D38-873F-46C0C3CBE1DA.jpeg

Here’s the other two moms I kept eggs from. A lavender and a buff Orpington. The lavender with the dad should throw Lavender, blue, black, or splash chicks I think. With the buff, I’m hoping for some buff chicks with a blue tail.

Tons of possibilities. Excited to have chicks this Easter!

Okay, just got home a 5 hours ago from Hawaii. I told my neighbor not to collect my eggs after Thursday, incubator heating, done my selections setting eggs in 1 hour! So excited! Going to add more tomorrow! These are from 1 hen and 3 pullets. Welsummer, Marans, OE and Salmon Faverolle all crossed with Barnevelder.

Attachments

• PXL_20230319_233604975.jpg
    PXL_20230319_233604975.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 2
I set 12 chicken eggs yesterday at 1:30. I separated out the moms I wanted to hatch from. Excited about possible colors.

Here are parents

View attachment 3436966
Here’s the dad. Half BLRW and half Lavender Orpington.

View attachment 3436967
One of the moms i collected eggs from. She’s same mix as dad. Full sister. Really excited about possible colors from them.

View attachment 3436968
Here’s the other two moms I kept eggs from. A lavender and a buff Orpington. The lavender with the dad should throw Lavender, blue, black, or splash chicks I think. With the buff, I’m hoping for some buff chicks with a blue tail.

Tons of possibilities. Excited to have chicks this Easter!
What beautiful chickens! ❤️

Okay, just got home a 5 hours ago from Hawaii. I told my neighbor not to collect my eggs after Thursday, incubator heating, done my selections setting eggs in 1 hour! So excited! Going to add more tomorrow! These are from 1 hen and 3 pullets. Welsummer, Marans, OE and Salmon Faverolle all crossed with Barnevelder.
Do you have pics of your flock? I’m still trying to figure breeds out, so would love to see them 👀

Do you have pics of your flock? I’m still trying to figure breeds out, so would love to see them 👀
Sure thing! Barnevelder rooster in back and Salmon Faverolle in front. Second pic is young Marans,3rd pic is OE and Welsummer infront. Last three born last May.

Attachments

• PXL_20221227_210049538.jpg
    PXL_20221227_210049538.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220609_004740911.jpg
    PXL_20220609_004740911.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220609_004926820.jpg
    PXL_20220609_004926820.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 2
If he's been mating within the past 3-4 weeks you may have fertility.

I used to have 4 black hens to prove that chicken sperm could last over 3 weeks. :D
Oh gosh!! I've been told that that could be possible but I don't believe I have any fertilized eggs right now. :(. I don't believe he's been mating at all. Thank you though!

I had a younger rooster taken by a hawk, that did mate with all my girls. And I may still have some fertilized eggs left from him but the eggs have been refrigerated. Would they maybe still work? I lost him on Feb 23rd.

Oh gosh!! I've been told that that could be possible but I don't believe I have any fertilized eggs right now. :(. I don't believe he's been mating at all. Thank you though!

I had a younger rooster taken by a hawk, that did mate with all my girls. And I may still have some fertilized eggs left from him but the eggs have been refrigerated. Would they maybe still work? I lost him on Feb 23rd.
Refrigerated eggs can have a lower hatch rate, but can still hatch occasionally
I believe @Kiki hatched some refrigerated quail eggs a couple years ago 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom