14-15 WK Old Silver Laced Wyandotte

PreChickenLady

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2015
This is my 14-15 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte, Nuggets. I am wondering if Nuggets is really a she or rather a he. I also have a Golden Laced Wyandotte, Lacy, and she looks much different from Nuggets. Nuggets has a much more pronounced wattle and comb.
I did order this chick along with 5 others from an online company and as per usual they have a 90ish% guarantee as to the sex. Can someone tell me if they think this is a hen?

Here is a comparison of Lacy. This picture was taken a few weeks ago, but you can see Nuggets in the background to compare.

I was afraid of that....I guess I will have to find a new home for Nuggets since I don't have the room to have my chickens breeding.

So a beginner question. Would there be any benefit in keeping a rooster? I really don't have the room for my chickens to breed since I live in the suburbs (in all honesty I probably am not supposed to have chickens in general and it's a good thing they are quiet so they don't bother my neighbors) so is there any purpose in keeping a rooster?

welcome-byc.gif

In your situation, there's not benefit to keeping him. He's going to start crowing any time and probably annoy you and the neighbors. You have an enclosed run, so he's not needed for predator protection. You've said you're not looking to hatch eggs and expand your flock, so he's not needed there. IMO he's just going to be a freeloader who eats a ton of food and is basically worthless to you. I'd start trying to get rid of him.

welcome-byc.gif

In your situation, there's not benefit to keeping him. He's going to start crowing any time and probably annoy you and the neighbors. You have an enclosed run, so he's not needed for predator protection. You've said you're not looking to hatch eggs and expand your flock, so he's not needed there. IMO he's just going to be a freeloader who eats a ton of food and is basically worthless to you. I'd start trying to get rid of him.

X 2 -- especially given you are not even sure you are legally allowed to have birds at all, as his crowing will definitely attract attention. For areas where backyard bird are allowed keeping "crowing birds" (aka roosters) is generally prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom