Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Pullet but maybe not?

NikitaChakita

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2023
Brought this lil buddy home from the Burns Feed Store in Oregon expecting a blue laced red Wyandotte pullet… feeling like it might look like a cockerel & also feeling like I’m not sure if it’s the same color variation we thought we were getting? Any opinions from you experts would be interesting to hear! It’s 8 weeks old, first picture is from last night second is from when probably a week and a half ago. The waddle just seems so much more pronounced than our other chicks. Lil bird is also doing a lot of chest bumping with our Jersey giant chick when we put them in their outdoor run.

Attachments

• 73528000219__687D3545-751F-4107-AA81-665CA445AD47.jpeg
    73528000219__687D3545-751F-4107-AA81-665CA445AD47.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3960.jpeg
    IMG_3960.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Looks like a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte to me, and that is definitely looking like a cockerel.
Now that I’m looking at it in better lighting I think you’re definitely right that he/she a blue laced red! I was hoping someone would say no way that is a pullet though but that’s ok 😂

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 26
Now that I’m looking at it in better lighting I think you’re definitely right that he/she a blue laced red! I was hoping someone would say no way that is a pullet though but that’s ok 😂
Yep, I can see that blue in his feathers better there!
I'm 100% sure its a male.

Ok thanks guys! if anyone has any pointers on integrating a young roo into a flock that already has a big sweet barred rock rooster let me know 🙃

Ok thanks guys! if anyone has any pointers on integrating a young roo into a flock that already has a big sweet barred rock rooster let me know 🙃
Integrating roosters may or may not go well. Start off with using the see-no-touch-method. It would be better to integrate sooner rather than later, and your Barred Rock can teach your young roo.

Curious, what makes you say it's a BLRW? Looks like a golden-laced wyandotte cockerel to me - typically the blue on BLRWs is much lighter.

Curious, what makes you say it's a BLRW? Looks like a golden-laced wyandotte cockerel to me - typically the blue on BLRWs is much lighter.
The first pictures he looks really dark but in daylight with his feathers coming in he actually looks pretty greyish/blue. The feed store sold him as a BLRW but I’ve seen some chicks online that are a lot lighter like you’re saying (which is why I thought they may have made a mistake) but apparently there can be quite a bit of variety! But this is also my first Wyandotte so I am shooting in the dark over here

Back
Top Bottom