Will my chickens survive their first winter?

I’m a very visual person 😆 you don’t happen to have a picture of your setup do you?
You'd think I would -- and I looked through pictures to see if I had any -- and I don't! But, I actually am using one now as a cover from rain for crumbles. Trust me -- it isn't pretty at all. Just functional. I will try to remember to take my phone out and post it for you later.

I'm also in northern WI, just an hour south of Lake Superior. We have some prevailing winds here so my ladies did have a bit of frostbite on their combs, but nothing severe. A lot depends on the breed of chicken you have also - some are more cold hardy than others. Your chickens will be fine - they do better in cold than in heat. Don't worry !!

Just think about all of Mother Nature's birds out in the cold winter weather. They do just fine and your chickens will also. I'm in North Ga (not far from you) and only have to worry about water freezing a few days a year. I have an automatic system, rain barrel to horizontal nipples, most all the year and when it freezes I have a couple 5 gal waters I swap out daily to keep everybody hydrated. My auto system is gravity feed and I have a couple joints in the pvc that aren't glued together, when they freeze they just pop apart and don't bust the pipes. When they thaw I pop em back together and refill the barrel.

Winter is no problem here in middle TN. My chickens brood and raise chicks all winter. The hot weather is another thing all together, the birds have a hard time with the heat and humidity so you'll have to find ways to deal with that. You will find numerous ways to beat the heat here on BYC.

I use a dome shaped heated watered during the winter and it’s outside...not a problem...droppers in warmer months...I ran a string of Christmas tree lights in the tube on the door of the little tykes..and it was constantly 40-60o in there with zero outside. DO cover your run w plastic to block the wind for them...the wind can be a problem.

Chickens are very resilliant creatures and they will be fine as long as they are protected from the wind and moisture. I live in Colorado and my chickens have had no problem with temps as low as -9 with no heater. I use an electric bowl that plugs in to keep water from freezing in the coop. If I know it's going to be extra cold overnight, I feed them a warm dinner of quinoa and veggies/fruit at bed time. This warms them up and has their bodies creating heat while digesting. Watch for black spots on their combs which is a sign that you're having too much moisture build up in the coop and are at risk for frost bite. Make sure you have enough ventilation. I will put an herbal salve on their combs if they start to look dry during the winter.

Ive owned chickens before but only for harvesting and i was too young to fully recall. We bought some chicks this March, i’m worried about how they will be accustomed to Tennessee weather. I’m sure they will be just fine with a good ventilated coop and probably cuddling for body heat but i would like to hear the input of others. I live north of middle Tennessee of that makes a difference. Thanks
I have 2 flat heaters in the coop in Nebraska. My chickens did fine they their first winter. They were reasonable on Amazon about $35 apiece. Fortunately I was able to put electricity in the coop

I have 2 flat heaters in the coop in Nebraska. My chickens did fine they their first winter. They were reasonable on Amazon about $35 apiece. Fortunately I was able to put electricity in the coop
Would be interested to know @Lbogers ....
How big is your coop in feet by feet?
How many birds?
Did you track inside and outside temps.......and power used?
Did you have good ventilation?

Ive owned chickens before but only for harvesting and i was too young to fully recall. We bought some chicks this March, i’m worried about how they will be accustomed to Tennessee weather. I’m sure they will be just fine with a good ventilated coop and probably cuddling for body heat but i would like to hear the input of others. I live north of middle Tennessee of that makes a difference. Thanks
I guess we spoil our chickens. When it’s below freezing we turn on a red heat lamp. It’s set on a timer to turn on at 6:00 pm and go off at daylight. It keeps the water from freezing and heats their 8 X 10 house a little bit as well.

Soooo - I guess my chickens are quite spoiled. We are in SC, which hardly gets below freezing in the winter. However, I still provide my chickens with a "Cozy Coop" heater when temps drop into the 30's. I hate the thought of them being chilled. If it does happen to dip below freezing, in the house they go! Our Sebrights and Polish hen tend to dislike the cold the most. They will stand on one leg when then the cold temps are bothering them.

Back
Top Bottom