Will my chickens survive their first winter?

I'm sure glad I live in south Texas...we don't have to shovel Sunshine here...I'll take all your frozen water for my girls ...its been 95 plus for two straight weeks here...o natural "snow cone" would be a hit with our flock right now.
I'd much rather deal with cold and snow than the heat down there.
Can't hardly stand the heat waves we get up here.

I'd much rather deal with cold and snow than the heat down there.
Can't hardly stand the heat waves we get up here.

I'm originally from the east coast of Michigan so I know of what you speak lol..the chickens thus far have taken it in stride pretty well. I have just put in a new "wading pool" for them but as chickens do they will have nothing to do with it YET. I am going to calibrate my hygrometer this weekend and have been monitoring it week. The mister system in close proximity to the coop doesn't seem to have much affect on it during the times it is on only rising a couple of % and the coop fans must be helpful also because the humidity is registering very close to what the weather channel is predicting for my area. The big rise in humidity is when the girls go in at night and the coop door closes. It has had a high of 77% on one night at 84 degrees in the coop.

They will be just fine. Ensure the coop is properly ventilated so the humidity can escape and secondly the chickens don’t have a draft on the roost and that should be good. We are in northern Wisconsin and we don’t add any supplemental heat and our birds do just fine. We had temps down to -20 last year and they did not have a problem.

I also live in Northern Wisconsin, which doesn't make sense as I hate cold weather. The chickens didn't seem to mind, though.

Back
Top Bottom