Where to buy in Austin area?

Xival Knievel

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Austin, Texas
Hey everyone, we just moved to Round Rock Texas, just north of Austin and I had to find a new home for my small flock in Portland before we left. Back there I had a pretty great local feed store that I preordered chicks from, and they got a huge selection of day olds breeds and took good care of them, usually from ideal. I feel like I knew where to go for my needs. So far I haven't found a nice feed store locally and I'm interested to know if anyone has suggestions for local breeders, hatcheries, or feed stores where I should look to get chicks from. Would I be better off ordering online from mypetchicken or something similar? Thanks.

I'll look into getting some chicks directly from the hatchery then... but I am looking for 5 or less so I don't know if they will work with me.

welcome-byc.gif
to Texas!

I'm in Dripping Springs and here's the local places with chicks: Callahan's (on 183 North in Cedar Park, or 183 South not far from the Airport. Tractor Supply Company (national chain, several locations in Austin as well as surrounding towns). Local feed stores in surrounding small towns. My local feed store had Wyandottes and Brown Leghorns, with shipments weekly of various breeds. Wimberley has shipments of chickens as well as waterfowl (they had goslings earlier this week!). There are a few other feed stores in Austin, not sure if they have chicks. Google it.

Ideal is good, I hear, though I've never ordered from them. Tons of breeds, just take your pick. It's about a 1 1/2 hr from you, not bad.

Don't forget Austin Craigslist. I found nice chicks through craigslist. Several local breeders or hobbyists with good prices, sometimes even good bloodlines and careful breeding.

If you want hens, try some of the local chicken farms (I like the organic ones like Vital Farms and CoyoteRanch) and you might find some "used" hens that are still laying well as you raise up your chickies. Prices are usually good, too.

Be sure to check out Round Rock regs for having chickens. It's very suburban up there!

And if you want a chicken tractor or mobile coop, you are just down the road from Mobile Chicken Coops in Liberty Hill. (www.mobilechickencoops.com)

Good luck!

woot.gif

You're close enough to pick up your chicks at Ideal Hatchery in Cameron. It's nice not having to rely on USPS. If you're looking for starter pullets you're close to Bird and Bee Farm in Rockdale. www.birdandbeefarm.com

Back
Top Bottom