When to take them off heat?

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
So I have these two ducklings - pekin and runner - that were given to me. They are in a wire frame cage OUTSIDE due to their apauling odor but they do have a heat light. They are three weeks old and getting huge but they still have no feathers, just down so they are looking very stretched with the insulation, lots when little, not so good now lol.

When should ducks come off heat and when should they be eaten?

I guess you can tell these are my first ducks and judging how icky they are, most likely my last!

So I have these two ducklings - pekin and runner - that were given to me. They are in a wire frame cage OUTSIDE due to their apauling odor but they do have a heat light. They are three weeks old and getting huge but they still have no feathers, just down so they are looking very stretched with the insulation, lots when little, not so good now lol.

I guess you can tell these are my first ducks and judging how icky they are, most likely my last!
Well they should stay with heat until fully feathered which will be about 5-7 weeks. yes they are messy and smelly but they can't help that. thats why it's very important to make sure they have clean fresh bedding often. as far as eating well most say around 12 weeks. you won't get much meat off your runner duckling maybe try finding a pet home for it. and alot of folks love Pekins for pets also. Not trying to discourage you from a nice duck meal, but you seem very dissatisfied with them and just thought you may want to find them a home before they are ready to eat.

Staying under heat may not be essential, at this stage, but that depends on your local climate. I have successfully placed my Indian Runner ducklings into an enclosed run and naturally insulated housing for the past week (they are 5 and 4 weeks old). They are not quite fully feathered, but they are proving hardy.

You can reduce the use of the heat lamp by one hour per day so that in one weeks time, that is 7hrs heat lamp time saved.

They do grow incredibly quickly (and so does their muck and stench!) but, its an interim stage between being home grown and being outdoor dependent
wink.png
In the grand scheme of things, its actually quite short lived.

I have not raised any ducks for eating. However, I have done my research and I am guided by John Seymour's book on "Self-Sufficiency"; in that, he recommends eating at 10 weeks (due to the feathers being brittle before and after that time). To eat at 10 weeks, you would need to fatten them up with a high protein diet. Others on this forum disagree, and that's ok; we choose who's advice we heed
wink.png
based on our own criteria. Runners will not produce a lot of meat; they are by nature lean birds. I have no experience of pekins.

If egg returns are your reason for having ducks, I do know Runners are good egg producers (no knowledge/experience of Pekins), so that may make a difference in your attitude towards eating now or longer term protein production. Only you can judge that one.

Babies of any type (including human
wink.png
) are icky and demanding. The only positive ducklings have over human babies are: they are more independent at a very much faster stage! Point of lay for a duck is 20 weeks.

Its a pity you feel discouraged by the ducklings needs; they do grow incredibly fast and are a "demand" for such a (relatively) short time. But, I respect your point of view
smile.png

You can keep the light off during the day, but at night I would put it back on because of temp. drops.
Mine are almost 5 weeks and I still leave a light on at night for them. Only a 40watt bulb :).

You could craiglist them. There is nothing on a runner to eat. I free range mine and they don't smell that way.

Back
Top Bottom