What does low pitched frog/duck like sound mean? (opposite from happy chirps)

geminihc

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
have a ~6-7 wk quail and i sometimes hear a very weird sound. almost like low pitched duck quack but i dont phyiscally see any of them moving their mouths so I can't tell who. also, one of them she/he (not sex'd yet) is acting slightly aggressively and i suspect it's that one. when one of them does make this sound, they ALL go nuts as if there is danger. (i have 5 of them total).

thanks. but no, i'm familiar with that crow and it is certainly not a repeated pitch sound. just 1 sound pitch. i'm reading more that it could be a female showing its dominance/anger?

Ok ... this makes me curious now. Would like to hear the sound.

Please share your research results, when you know what it is.
I always try to learn more.

Occasionally a couple of my males will make the noise you describe more often than the females. He usually makes it right before he chases and pecks at another quail. This is in my meat pen with all boys being kept together.

I have a few males who don't do the full crow, but only part of it. I have another male who is super protective of his female and makes a weird aggressive sound. He sometimes even attacks me when I put my hands in the enclosure to feed him.

Could you try to record the sound when you hear it?

thanks, i'm 99% sure i figured out what it is. Yes it is a male likely, and it's starting to make an actaul crow more and more. the hum/low-pitched croak is a precursor to the full crow. it takes about a week to "practice"

i noticed it's trying to peck/grab the back of the necks of other quails and "mount" it from behind. before/after this sound. of course, with no success since all of them just run away from him right away lol.

i hope it doesnt get violent.

thanks, i'm 99% sure i figured out what it is. Yes it is a male likely, and it's starting to make an actaul crow more and more. the hum/low-pitched croak is a precursor to the full crow. it takes about a week to "practice"

i noticed it's trying to peck/grab the back of the necks of other quails and "mount" it from behind. before/after this sound. of course, with no success since all of them just run away from him right away lol.

i hope it doesnt get violent.
we have names for the sounds our quail make. I think the one you're describing might be a sound the male makes when he wants the female bird to come because he found a bug.

Or it could be the sound they ,make when they see a big bird in the sky and they want to warn the other birds.

Back
Top Bottom