What did you do in the garden today?

Put in 5 light fixtures today . Replacing the cheap plastic ones the electrician had in . He only did that to get inspection out of the way . According to plan . Spent way too much time on the first one as it was a difficult design . Had to improvise . So here is a oddity . I was one short as I forgot to count one . So I went to local hardware . Light was a simpler design and what I really wanted . Cheaper than Menard's and easier to install . :confused:

I'm so tempted to try this.... The only thing is that my DH says we already have TOO MANY peppers. I still have a half dozen gallon sized bags frozen from last year. I have 3 tobasco plants that I gotta figure out what to do with and one pepperoncino.
My Tobasco just went crazy, I got so many peppers, and so many just fell off into the grass etc, hell even the birds got tired of stealing them there were so many.

I had bags and bags of them, I eventually made a jelly out of them. It turned out pretty decent. Tobasco is one of those if you stress it a bit, ie let it get dry and wilt once or twice and it will HEAT UP !!!

Oh I know that feeling, I 'volunteer' at the farm, so I can learn, bla bla. I end up spending more money on plant stuff than I save / earn :D Getting a 'discount' is NOT helpful either hmm?? But enjoy it, and stop saving for your dream property, you'll die .. almost there !! just a little more !!! Get the property and live your dream. Your part time job WILL go away though, . you'll be putting that extra time into keeping your 'dream' property to being your dream property and not turning into a nightmare property.

All this gardening we want to do when we 'retire' takes a lot of time, .. Retiring and then having to work what essentially is an 80 hour a week job, to pay for it, keep it up, second job, ooftie booftie.. neither is retiring OR fun.

I honestly don't know what to say about property prices. Right now they are stupidly high, and I have a feeling in a year or two, that world bubble is going to pop and it's going to all come crashing down spectacularly. If it does you could very well not only be getting your dream property, but getting it at a dream price too !! Or, depending on where you planned on getting it AT, find that the prices just keep steadily going up.

Personally, I'd say F it, Im getting it, Id buy it, bite the bullet, and no matter what happens, it's MINE, I OWN IT. and I actually HAVE it now. Now matter how badly they destroy the prices or the cost of things, you still own the LAND. You don't care what someone says it's worth, YOUR value is the physical LAND to plant your garden in. The GARDEN is your money pot, the eggs, the chickens, etc.

Aaron <-- the person who is seeking a full time maid, an overtime cockatoo babysitter, and part time chicken rustler! with the occasional OT picking taters, maters, and bagers
Im definitely not waiting too long. I do need to fix up the house we live in right now cuz we'd start projects and get interrupted and now have several underway making the whole thing a bit "no thanks" for most buyers, or at least, "Gimme a discount!". I have a five year plan, about three left to go, before I go for it. Im seriously hoping the prices will cooperate by then. We sold a condo forever ago, and the buyers had us pay them $3000 for new carpet. I was SO mad at hubs for accepting that BS 🤬. Im doing all the work now and will sell when the time comes and I find something I want. My main concern at this moment is a gaping hole in the downstairs bathroom I cant fix cuz the plumber cant seem to make it here to fix the hot water line so I can get the sink out of the way to fix the gaping hole. Yup. The whole place is like that. Everytime I want to do something, I run into a ridiculous issue like that. I cant finish the kitchen cuz the subfloor is rotten. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Someone suggested I hire a home inspector to figure out where the water is coming from, but Im convinced its coming from ice dams on the siding and the patio door. It also dribbles from the top of the patio door and water comes out of the downstairs wall when its a super hard rain.
Someone suggested i get a home inspector and/or a roofer out, but the insurance company insists its not the roof. Theyre lunatics though. The "inspector" they had come out didnt get any measurements right on the kitchen and also labeled every wall as exterior. So, allegedly, my kitchen is a stand alone in the ether? 🤷🏻‍♀️ They also decided to dump us for nonpayment, when I can clearly follow every single payment for the last four years! I am so done!
Put in 5 light fixtures today . Replacing the cheap plastic ones the electrician had in . He only did that to get inspection out of the way . According to plan . Spent way too much time on the first one as it was a difficult design . Had to improvise . So here is a oddity . I was one short as I forgot to count one . So I went to local hardware . Light was a simpler design and what I really wanted . Cheaper than Menard's and easier to install . :confused:
Sounds just like my luck 🤣

sorry for any typos or missed words. Cant seem to read or type today 🙄

And just like that....my hopes for rain were dashed. 😤

Forecast from this morning
Screenshot_20220921_113924.jpg

Updated forecast.... *sigh*

Screenshot_20220921_165119.jpg

Others like a Habanero for example will tantrum if you just look at wrong.
Ours didn't make it. That was the only one I dug up. Not doing it this year.
You don't care what someone says it's worth, YOUR value is the physical LAND to plant your garden in. The GARDEN is your money pot, the eggs, the chickens, etc.
Exactly! We have some vacant acres (11.5) and last week I got two offers to buy it. One for $26K, the second for $19K. Nope, not for sale at any price. It's priceless to me.
Chinese Tongue Torture Mideval Anus Incindeary Pepper
What the heck kind of name is that for a pepper?!?! Really, what is the pepper called? Sounds like something DH might try. :gig

You have been great busy.

I'm so tempted to try this.... The only thing is that my DH says we already have TOO MANY peppers. I still have a half dozen gallon sized bags frozen from last year. I have 3 tobasco plants that I gotta figure out what to do with and one pepperoncino.
I’ve been meaning to come see you for years! :lol: I can help you with the extra peppers.

Cutting them back, not sure how that would work, I don't think they'd take too kindly to that, they wouldn't go into hibernation, IF they survived that, they'd just start growing back, and like a tree when you cut it down and it starts to regrow, it comes back more shrubby etc.

Given your fairly short growing season, why don't you just grow them IN buckets. I did peppers for years in planters, and yes, some of them in 5 gallon buckets and they did very well. I said 'the equivalent' of 5 gallon buckets because they basically were nursery pots, the fancy ones, the not so fancy ones etc. In your case when it starts getting too cold, move them indoors and keep them indoors, winter them over, Id have a growlight on them, when the threat of frost is gone, move the pots back outside and let them continue into year 2.

To be totally honest, IF you gave them enough light down in the basement, I don't see why you couldn't even just grow them PERIOD down there,... or keep their productivity running (although at a lesser extend) until go back outside.

Another thing. Ok lets say you decide to start from seed, start them indoors, heck, start them in march..by may they will be pretty big already, then you can just plop them outside, and with luck, within a month they are flowering and producing, if they have not already started that in their pots.

Aaron

Thanks for all the info. I have never tried growing peppers in a 5 gallon bucket, but I might give that a try. Considering all my options at this time. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom